Yeast Problems

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Postie109

Junior
Reaction score
I just put on two Merlot red wine kits. The yeast was added on top before setting containers in a heated room. Temp got too warm in the room so I left the door open. Two days later the fermentation started but after 3 days I went away for the weekend and the room temp dropped. When I returned 3 days later the yeast had stopped working. I added more yeast to try and restart the fermentation since I thought 3 days Brewing wasn't long enough. Did I do anything wrong by adding more yeast or do you think I've killed my wine kit. Appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks.....Pat

There are many people on this forum who are willing to help, I am sure, but we would need more information:

What kit are you making? Brand and series, e.g., RJS En primeur. How many liters of juice provided?
What yeast did you use, both initially and the second addition?
What was your initial specific gravity? What is the current specific gravity?
What was the temperature of the room when it was "too hot?"
What did the temperature drop to when the room cooled?
What is the temperature of the wine?
Do you notice any off odors, particularly a rotten egg smell?

And how do you know the yeast has stopped? As noted, are you checking the SG with a hydrometer? What yeast did you use (if from the kit, I'd guess EC1118)?

I'm currently an expert on stuck fermentation and what not to do and what worked for me.

My guess is you are through fermentation. Have you tasted it? Tell us what you taste...sweet, sharp, sour? Send pictures.

Welcome to Wine Making Talk Pat.

* you didn’t hurt anything by adding more yeast, yeast stop reproducing at about 1/3 sugar reduction, ,,excess yeast turns into a nitrogen source for the fermentation.
* low temperature will cause the yeast to slow down/ become inactive. ex. It is easy to take frozen bread with frozen yeast and follow recipe proofing producing happy live yeast.
* as noted above most of us are fixated on measuring specific gravity. You don’t have to as with traditional winemakers 200 years ago. When the yeast has produced about 5% alcohol most micro issues are prevented, ,, grapes ferment out to 11% alcohol so other than aerobic (like vinegar) infections wine is quite stable. ,,,,
* at this point I would be concerned about air exposure and keep the batch under air lock. As a country wine maker I try to get under air lock while the yeast are actively producing CO2 at roughly 1.015 +/- gravity.

Wine is quite forgiving/ low health risk/ and infections only make off flavors.

Last edited:
Back