Yeast pairings

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Normally when I use different combinations of yeasts the progression results are similar. With the Petit Verdot this time is different. All 3 batches are equal volume of must and all treated the same way. Pitched the rehydrated yeast Friday, all the temps are in the mid 70s and original SG was 1.100. The D21 is now at 1.008, RC212 now 1.032 and the BDX is 1.056. Nothing is stuck and they are steadily progressing. Just different them I'm used to.

I'm curious, why three different yeast strains for the same verity/batch? Have you ever tried doing this in the past...and has it produced noticeably different outcomes? The Petit Verdot will likely be my next batch of wine and I want to know the best yeast strain to select.

Thank you

I'm curious, why three different yeast strains for the same verity/batch? Have you ever tried doing this in the past...and has it produced noticeably different outcomes? The Petit Verdot will likely be my next batch of wine and I want to know the best yeast strain to select.

Thank you

I divide the must into 3 different buckets and each gets a different yeast. Once AF is complete they all get blended together. I believe it adds complexity to the wine since each yeast will produce different flavor profiles.

After reading through this thread, I feel a little less silly lol.

Every single little decision made- if made for a reason, is just part of your wines makeup. And for us fellow winemakers it’s very interesting. Going for that “home winemaker’s version” of an Old World feel- regardless of fundamentalist’s specific opinions- I think makes a good wine better. And this Type of info would be back label worthy I think. (Although my local liquor store owner tells me I’m like 1 of maybe 4 customers who actually read labels lol)

I totally agree. I'll spend hours researching different yeast strains and feel that I learn more and more about the winemaking process just by doing that. I like to list interesting stuff (like yeast selection) on the back of my labels, and most people who see it think I'm a geek (I take that as a compliment).

Latest posts

Back