Yeast pairings

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfire322

Reaction score
I know this may sound silly, but whenever I think about the varietal of the wine I'm making, I think of the region it natively comes from and try and find a yeast that comes from there for where I can emulate (though failing miserably) the most "authentic" wine. For example, for my Riesling, I ended up using the Steinberg (WLP727) yeast for my Riesling.

Has anyone done this in the past?

I know this may sound silly, but whenever I think about the varietal of the wine I'm making, I think of the region it natively comes from and try and find a yeast that comes from there for where I can emulate (though failing miserably) the most "authentic" wine. For example, for my Riesling, I ended up using the Steinberg (WLP727) yeast for my Riesling.

Interesting, I've never heard of this but I like how you're thinking!

Which is why I use Bordeaux yeast with Cabernet franc, Malbec,Merlot and Carmenere

Rational or not, I don't know, but I am influenced by this factor, too. I use RC212 for Pinot Noir, for example. Perhaps the exception for me is ICV-D254: Although I did, in fact, most recently use this on its "native" Syrah, I (very subjectively) like it so much that I use it broadly.

No way! Not silly. I dig your style. Every single little decision made- if made for a reason, is just part of your wines makeup. And for us fellow winemakers it’s very interesting.
Going for that “home winemaker’s version” of an Old World feel- regardless of fundamentalist’s specific opinions- I think makes a good wine better.
And this Type of info would be back label worthy I think. (Although my local liquor store owner tells me I’m like 1 of maybe 4 customers who actually read labels lol)

No way! Not silly. I dig your style. Every single little decision made- if made for a reason, is just part of your wines makeup. And for us fellow winemakers it’s very interesting.
Going for that “home winemaker’s version” of an Old World feel- regardless of fundamentalist’s specific opinions- I think makes a good wine better.
And this Type of info would be back label worthy I think. (Although my local liquor store owner tells me I’m like 1 of maybe 4 customers who actually read labels lol)
I love old world wines way more than new world, that's my style so I spend time researching and trying to emulate it. It's the history of it.

While I'm still experimenting with yeasts and blending without seeing what each brings to the table, this was my selections and reasons for what I used on the Petit Verdot. BDX because it is a Bordeaux yeast, RC212 although it recommended for light reds I like I like pepper and spicy flavors in my wine which it's supposed to enhance and D21 was chosen for it's warm climate and high sugar traits. Not that these were the best but it's what I had and as I said I'm still experimenting.

Normally when I use different combinations of yeasts the progression results are similar. With the Petit Verdot this time is different. All 3 batches are equal volume of must and all treated the same way. Pitched the rehydrated yeast Friday, all the temps are in the mid 70s and original SG was 1.100. The D21 is now at 1.008, RC212 now 1.032 and the BDX is 1.056. Nothing is stuck and they are steadily progressing. Just different them I'm used to.

It's to late now, but what yeast should an Amarone have to be in it's natural state?

I used r-212 because I've liked the past results on other varietals.

HEY! Check it out: Enartis AMR-1 is isolated from Amarone skins:

http://shop-usa.enartis.com/winemak...s/yeast/active-dry-yeast-for-red-wines#page=1

I downloaded that article you found, and am working on a couple of other leads, too, but the Enartis find probably trumps all else.

Sooooooo...... in a kind of roundabout type of way, using Enartis AMR-1 on valpolicella grapes would give you a Ripasso!

**isolated from Valpo grapes post-apessimento but pre-AF **

Other then using actual amarone slurry I think That’s the closest your ever gonna get. Winner winner chicken dinner!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back