Yeast Nutrients What are the options? What do you use?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bramble

Reaction score
I only have Wyeast yeast nutrient on hand... the wine making instructions I have say to use 1tsp per per gal. But 3 Tsp in 3 gals seem to be excessive. What do you think? What would you use? (My question is "in general" but I make mostly blackberry wine, if this is important).

Do you think split additions a good plan, or unnecessary?
Anyone have a coherent philosophy here?

I'm pretty sure that manufacturers know how much you should use.

Split additions are a good idea. 1/3-1/2 at the first signs of fermentation starting, more after 1/3 of the sugar is gone and then a final dose when half the sugar is gone. You certainly don't want to add any after half the sugar is gone, the yeast can't use it, so it will be left over and anything else in your must will grow.

nominal dosage of Fermaid-k or Fermaid-0 is 1 gram per gallon. I give the entire dosage one day after fermentation starts. others recommend a step approach. I believe all fermentation should have some amount of yeast nutrient to keep yeast happy add to keep from having a stuck fermentation.stressed yeast will render a rotten egg aroma difficult to eliminate.

Anyone use anything besides scott labs products?
I hadn't seen them before but they do look like they are umm,
what is the word, a major player?

any other options that people have opinions on?

L. D Carlson, Wyeast, White Labs anything else besides the rather extensive product line-up of Scott Labs?

(Sorry for all the vague questions, I must have missed the yeast nutrient "primer" somehow)

I have been using Superfood for over 10yrs, just my preference, but there is nothing wrong with Scott Labs.

Back