Yeast Nutrient With Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Parisi

Reaction score
I have made 9 kits, from WineXpert, RJSpagnols, and Mosti Mondiale. The Mosti kit was 6 gallons all juice, the other two needed to add water. The only kit to include a yeast nutriend was the Mosti Alljuice kit. No idea what type of nutrient. Instructions said to stir in the nutrient when SG got to 1.040 to 1.050. That was before racking into a carboy when SG got to 1.010 to 1.020.

So I guess my question is -- should I add nutrient to other kits after fermentation has gone a while and is slowing down? Any thoughts as to why Mosti does, but the other kits don't include yeast nutrient? They were all 6 gallon dry red wines (Nebbiolo, Super Tuscan, Fiero/primitivo, Malbec, and Nero D'Avola, the Mosti kit).

I picked up some DAP at our LHBS today, just in case. I currently just started a RJS Super Tuscan kit and wondering if and how much nutrient I should add at some point.

I did read the yeast nutrient thread, but frankly, it was all pretty much over my head. And I am a noob, having only made wine (all kits) for just over 2 years.

I don't know the answer to your question (noob too) but a week ago I started a double batch of FWK and a WE Nebbiolo at the same time. When it was time to add the nutrients to the FWK batch, on a whim I put about half of one of the nutrient packs in the WE kit. It fizzed up as is typical with the FWK and and the ferment completed as expected. My guess is that the WE and RJS just add the required nutrients to the juice bag. But I'm only guessing.

The answer as to why RJS, WE don't include yeast nutrients is that it isn't required, or it is already in the concentrate, if you use the included yeast. If you decide to use a different yeast, you MAY need to add nutrients.

You don't want to add more nutrients than what is required, if any spoilage bacteria happen to get into your must and there is unused nutrients, they are quite happy to eat those and grow faster.

Latest posts

Back