Yeast nutrient question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DnaNC

Junior
Reaction score
I am making my very first batch of wine, which is my first step into any fermented creation . Im making Strawberry wine and the recipe calls for 5 tsp of yeast nutrient for 5 Gals. (I'm making 5 gallons). | just added the yeast & sugar and realized I bought maybe the wrong kind of yeast nutrient? I have White Labs Servomyces capsules item # WLN3200. There are 6 little capsules and the instructions on the package say to use 1 for every 1 to 7 gallons. I can't really translate that to 5 tsp... help! Did I ruin my mixture? I put 3 capsules in with my 20lbs strawberries and 10lbs sugar. Can I fix it or diagnose it? Or maybe it's OK?

I am making my very first batch of wine, which is my first step into any fermented creation . Im making Strawberry wine and the recipe calls for 5 tsp of yeast nutrient for 5 Gals. (I'm making 5 gallons). | just added the yeast & sugar and realized I bought maybe the wrong kind of yeast nutrient? I have White Labs Servomyces capsules item # WLN3200. There are 6 little capsules and the instructions on the package say to use 1 for every 1 to 7 gallons. I can't really translate that to 5 tsp... help! Did I ruin my mixture? I put 3 capsules in with my 20lbs strawberries and 10lbs sugar. Can I fix it or diagnose it? Or maybe it's OK?
Welcome to WMT.

I’m not familiar with that product but low nutrients can lead to problems with off flavors. I don’t think high nutrients is a problem… hence the one tablet for 1-7 gallons. Wine is very forgiving.

If you post your whole recipe and process we can offer more helpful advice. You will find that people here are very friendly and helpful.

There are several kinds of yeast nutrient. Make the assumption that the manufacturer knows what they put in a package and follow manufacturer directions/ dosage rate.
An old recipe will be based on nitrogen salts which is urea mixed with diammonium phosphate. This is stuff that i/ most of us started with, a bottle called “yeast nutrient”. It is concentrated and yeast go wild on it sort of like feeding candy to a two year old. Chemical salts work and would have been the only stuff available thirty years ago.

Current thinking is that a slower organic nitrogen source is better for the yeast, they go slower and are more likely to finish a fermentation. My local store stock Fermaid O to dose at the start followed by Fermaid K which is dosed at 1/3 sugar reduction (about 1.055). Organic nitrogen feeds about 50 ppm nitrogen where as the chemical salt feeds about 250 ppm. ,,, Again assume the manufacturer knows what they are selling and follow directions. Organic nitrogen is a more complicated recipe so I don’t suggest it for a newbie.

Welcome to Wine Making Talk!

Last edited:
I’ve used this product many times when making high gravity/high ABV beers like big Belgian Tripels, Quadrupels, and Russian Imperial Stouts.
I do not think you have used too much but I’m no expert. These capsules as you mention are small. This stuff is rather expensive as yeast nutrients go, maybe you could get some Fermaid O or K for future batches and/or to have on hand in the event this wine shows signs of the yeast being stressed.
My understanding of this product is that it was developed in Germany for use in beer and is sourced only from natural beer ingredients and therefore conforms to the strict Reinheitsgebot, the German beer purity laws.
While the manufacturer says it can be used in wine the only thing that occurs to me is if it provides enough YAN for wine in that dosage. I do not know if it does or does not though.
As far as I know from my readings here and there the risk of using too much nutrient is that if the yeast do not use it all during fermentation and some is present in the finished wine it can serve as a nutrient for unwanted microbes. Again I’m no expert but if the finished wine is properly sulphited this should mitigate this potential risk.

It has been a little over 24 hours since I added the yeast and sugar to my mix and it looks kinda pitiful. Maybe foamy but not bubbly. the specific gravity has not changed since yesterday. New item by Allison Holt
My recipe is
19 gal fresh strawberries that had been frozen and thawed​
10lbs sugar​
3 tsp acid blend​
2-1/4 tsp pectin enzyme​
3 capsules aforementioned yeast nutrient (supposed to be 5 tsp)​
1/4 tsp wine tannin​
1 pkg Lalvin 71B yeast​
5 campden tablets​

I added all except sugar, yeast, and yeast nutrient, let it sit 24 hrs, then added sugar, yeast, and nutrient. I had put yeast in water that was 99 degrees and it sat for 15 min and then added it to mix. Looked active.
The whole thing measured 1.09 SG yesterday (and today).
It's been sitting at 70 degrees for over 24 hrs with thin towel over it.
I'm seeing YouTube videos that are more bubbly than mine. Mine is just a bit foamy. Can I add more yeast and the yeast nutrient you mentioned and have it pick up and go?

Last edited:
It has been a little over 24 hours since I added the yeast and sugar to my mix and it looks kinda pitiful. Maybe foamy but not bubbly. the specific gravity has not changed since yesterday. New item by Allison Holt

It's been sitting at 70 degrees for over 24 hrs with thin towel over it.
I'm seeing YouTube videos that are more bubbly than mine. Mine is just a bit foamy. Can I add more yeast and the yeast nutrient you mentioned and have it pick up and go?
Just wait. 24 hours is too soon to expect dramatic change.
You will have fast ferments...and slow...agonizingly slow.
You will have "boiling" ferments...and gentle foam.
Mother Nature is in charge.

Don't expect big changes in SG in the beginning. Yeast are multiplying more than making alcohol.

And welcome to WMT!

In the future order fermaid k because fruit wines really need nutrients and fermaid would be the ideal nutrient to add in your situation.

You could also use Nutristart which is Lafforts equivalent product to fermaid.

Latest posts

Back