Yeast Nutrient Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete1325

Reaction score
Quick question.....Can one use too much yeast nutrients? I read you should "step feed" nutrients during PF. Is it bad to dump it in all at once (as I did)? Would there ever be a situation when you would need to add MORE during PF? Thoughts?

Quick question.....Can one use too much yeast nutrients? I read you should "step feed" nutrients during PF. Is it bad to dump it in all at once (as I did)? Would there ever be a situation when you would need to add MORE during PF? Thoughts?

Yes, you can add too much, stay within the guidelines. Extra nutrients floating around in your wine after AF can feed less desirable organisms than yeast and MLB. I typically step feed, and don't really know what putting it all in at once would do, but guess it might increase activity at the time of addition. Step feeding seems to me to be a way to keep the yeast satisfied on a more even basis as opposed to feast or famine.

I have added more when the presence of H2S is detected, usually near the end of AF, and typically can knock that out with Fermaid O pretty quickly. My preference is to use O near the end if it's necessary to provide addition nutrients. Rather have organic compounds in there as opposed to DAP..............

. My preference is to use O near the end if it's necessary to provide addition nutrients. Rather have organic compounds in there as opposed to DAP..............
Totally agreeing with everything that John said, I've read that DAP is not used up as well as the Fermaid O product as the alcohol levels rise towards the end of fermentation. From Scott Lab's site:

-----

Is nutrient addition timing important? Why?

Yes. Yeast metabolize nutrients at different times throughout fermentation. Dosing nutrients at the most optimal moments can enhance yeast performance. As fermentation progresses and the ethanol level rises, yeast becomes less and less able to assimilate nutrients. For this reason, each nutrient has been created for specific addition times. For example, GoFerm has been designed to add during rehydration. Other nutrients like Fermaid K are added at one-third sugar depletion and never into the rehydration water.

-----
Hope that helps. Search around a bit on the internet and you can find all kinds of stuff, just take into account where the information is coming from. A place like Scott Labs has something to gain from selling more product. Not saying that they are misleading anyone, just saying to take it with a grain of salt, kosher of course (not because I'm Jewish but because I like the flavor and texture of kosher salt better).

Thanks, just checked the SG.......down to 1.030 on the Camerere and 1.040 on the Cab Franc. Both started at around 1.090 last Friday so I think things are progressing nicely. The room temp was around 63 degrees this morning but is warming up and the smell is great! I plan to add MLB on the Camerere this evening and wait til the Cab Franc is down a bit lower. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back