yeast nutrient in Grenache

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crm

Junior
Reaction score
I used a GRE yeast in my bucket of Grenache grapes. Not much action for two days now. When should I add yeast nutrient?

Do you have any bubbles or activity? Has the SG changed at all? What is the must temperature?

You need to see if you have a slow fermentation or a stuck fermentation first before identifying a course forward.

I used a GRE yeast in my bucket of Grenache grapes. Not much action for two days now. When should I add yeast nutrient?
Yeah you should be seeing action in 24hrs for sure. Maybe repitch yeast and ensure it gets time to rehydrate & acclimate to the must.

You will typically add nutrients at the 2/3 and 1/3 points during fermentation. Any sooner and the yeast will not work through the amino acids. Any later and it may not be used up. Either way there may residual nitrogen for bacterial spoilage.

I'm getting some activity now. So I think I'll sit tight.

Do most people add nutrients to Grenache grapes?

i'm using J. Keller's instruction with muscadine grapes calls for tsp yeast nutrient set for 12 hours, than pectic, wait additional 12 hours before adding the yeast. Will this work? what about acid blend?

Latest posts

Back