Yeast nutrient Equivelancy question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
I have been using the yeast nutrient from Brewers Craft, comes in like a 1 oz. bag. I don't have the bag anymore, but for example for 4 gallons of Misquito Pee it called for 4 tsp, for 4 gallons.

My LHBS didn't have any in stock. I bought Wyeast Beer Nutrient Blend. From what I could learn on the web, it contains the same things, phosphate, etc., as the Brewcraft product.

My question is, the instructions on the tube call for dissolving 1/2 teaspoon in warm water and adding it 10 mins before end of boil.

Obviously I am not making beer. This is for 4 gallons of pee. My starter has been building and it is time to pitch it. So I dissolved 1/2 teaspoon in some warm water and whipped into the must. I pitched the starter.

Is anyone familiar with this product for use in wine making. Did I add to little ot too much?

I am concerned because the BC brand called for 4 tsp, and the Wyeast calls for 1/2 teaspoon.

Troy

I have never sed 1 for the other and really dont know if there is a difference but Im guessing that the only real difference is the amount needed only because of what you are adding it to. Did they not have yeast energizer either? cause thats actually a better option for most wine making anyway.

I added 3/4 tsp of energizer already. BC brand) I wasn't able to get the nutrient until today. It seems finer than the BC brand and I am thinking this is why the amounts are different. I feel good that it will work fine. I am disappointed she didn't order more of the BC brand, especially after she asked me what I recommended she keep it in stock. I just want to be sure that this Wyeast nutrient will be okay. I want to be sure to use enough but sure don't want to add to little or too much. I did a little research on it and really din't get a clear answer on using it for wine

With this mosquito pee, the lemon juice doesn't have alot of stuff for the yeast to feed on. Just want to be right, or close to it, anyway.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back