Yeast not working?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beyondhuman

Junior
Reaction score
As I wrote in my last thread I just started my first batch two nights ago. I put in 5 campden tablets for 5 gallons of wine (including the volume of the cherries in it which is probably about a quarter gallon). I also made a yeast starter by putting the yeast in a jug with some water, 1 tsp of orange juice, 1/4 tsp of yeast nutrient, and a tablespoon or two of sugar (this did show signs of fermentation before relaxing back down).

This morning I added the yeast starter to the wine and let it sit with the lid on (but not snapped in place) and now that I am back from class nothing is happening although it does smell like the yeast starter did. Every one gallon batch I have done before this started acting instantly but this 5 gallon batch has had several hours and still no activity!

Whats going on!?

What yeast did you use and what temp is the must?
Some yeast can take 36+ hours to really get started.
Put your ear as close as you can and listen It may be fermenting and you cant see it.
What are you frementing?

5 gallon batches take longer to start then 1 gallon batches just like a 12 gallon batch will take alot longer to ferment out. I agree that it does need a little more time and you should take a sg eading as you put yeast in and then check again in a day or 2 cause some fermentations will not really show very well at all. Like Tom said get your ear in there and listen for the sound of a soda pop sizzle.

X3, It will probably take off in a day or so. Keep the temp around 70 or so and give it a couple days. Some yeasts are no foamers as well and just sizzle along.

I started a batch of Chardonnay 2 days ago and am using Levospark BK1 for first time. no head foam at all but it is sparkling away

Once again..."Visual signs of Fementation can be very misleading. What are your specific gravities and temperatures?"

Steve

I started a batch of Chardonnay 2 days ago and am using Levospark BK1 for first time. no head foam at all but it is sparkling away
Please give us the info we asked for.
I have never heard of this yeast. Why did you choose it for this wine.

whoot whoot all set! things worked out fine. I was afraid of letting it sit open like that if the yeast wasn't doing its thing (germies getting in and all). but now about 12 hours later I can clearly hear that sweet bubbling sound made only by fermentation!

Please give us the info we asked for.
I have never heard of this yeast. Why did you choose it for this wine.
The Lady up at the wine supply in Canada said she had used it on a Chardonnay and it work wonderful, so being as this is 4th Chardonnay this year decided to play a little. I will tell you how it comes out, good or bad
BTW I had never heard of it either

Latest posts

Back