Yeast Not Blooming

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jskags

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made a batch of blackberry wine this weekend. I waited 24 hours to add my yeast. I then added 1 packet of Lalvin 71-B. It has been over 48 hours and I still have not seen any yeast activity. My must was hovering around 67 degrees sitting on my tile floor. I moved it to a warmer location and it is up to 68.5. Still no activity. My question is. I did not have any of the yeast I normally use. I ususally use Red Star Premier Classique. The 71-B was still in date. I have since acquired my new yeast, which has never given me an issue at 66 degrees or above, could I add that to my must or will there be an interaction from 2 different strands.

If you sprinkled the yeast on top or hydrated the yeast per the packet instructions, it’s possibly slow to start. A more fool proof hydration method is to make a starter 24 hours in advance. The slowness to start might also be due to low pH (like sub 3.0 ish) or too much sugar ( like SG over 1.1 ish).

Interactions between yeasts should not be an issue. Killer factor might be an issue. Look up the characteristics of the two yeasts. If one says “sensitive” than it will be out competed by the other yeast. It just means the sensitive yeast will die off (I guess is the best way to put it), and the other yeast will take over. Nothing bad will happen, just that the sensitive yeast won’t be providing the flavor profile you were hoping for.

If you sprinkled the yeast on top or hydrated the yeast per the packet instructions, it’s possibly slow to start. A more fool proof hydration method is to make a starter 24 hours in advance. The slowness to start might also be due to low pH (like sub 3.0 ish) or too much sugar ( like SG over 1.1 ish).

Interactions between yeasts should not be an issue. Killer factor might be an issue. Look up the characteristics of the two yeasts. If one says “sensitive” than it will be out competed by the other yeast. It just means the sensitive yeast will die off (I guess is the best way to put it), and the other yeast will take over. Nothing bad will happen, just that the sensitive yeast won’t be providing the flavor profile you were hoping for.
Thanks. I know my SG was sitting at 1.1 but I am not sure what my ph is. I will check tonight. I will also look into both yeasts.

71B is sensitive. I only know that because I use it in the early stages of my dessert wines. Then I add 1118, which is a killer.
That temperature should not be a problem for 71B.
I also recently did blackberry. Mine were from the yard and VERY acidic. If you sprinkled and if your blackberries are acidic that could be a problem. Rehydrating can actually be stressful on yeast. They start making a variety of proteins that they need and there's something like 24+ different ones. If the environment is just a little bit harsh or lacking nutrients they pretty much peter out and cease to function. Another reason to use a starter.
And did you learn a lesson from running out of your preferred yeast? I'm not going to tell you how much I have in the fridge. 😁

71B is sensitive. I only know that because I use it in the early stages of my dessert wines. Then I add 1118, which is a killer.
That temperature should not be a problem for 71B.
I also recently did blackberry. Mine were from the yard and VERY acidic. If you sprinkled and if your blackberries are acidic that could be a problem. Rehydrating can actually be stressful on yeast. They start making a variety of proteins that they need and there's something like 24+ different ones. If the environment is just a little bit harsh or lacking nutrients they pretty much peter out and cease to function. Another reason to use a starter.
And did you learn a lesson from running out of your preferred yeast? I'm not going to tell you how much I have in the fridge. 😁
Hey thanks for the tips. I came home today and temp was at 71. And I saw the start of active fermentation. My blackberries are acidic but so delicious. And my years supply of yeast arrived today! I have not experienced pitching different yeasts yet. Still very new. Y’all are great to bounce ideas off. Thanks again.

Sprinkling yeast on the must can take 72 hours to produce a ferment. This is a very nervous time, right? Been there, done that, have a closet full of t-shirts.

Make an overnight yeast starter. This lets the yeast produce a large colony in an environment that is more ideal for the yeast. I typically smell fermentation within 6 hours of inoculation, even if I'm not seeing visible evidence. Here is my method:

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/how-to-make-a-yeast-starter/

Back