Yeast for rose

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arieh

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning to make a Syrah rose this year and have a selection of yeasts to choos from:

Enoferm Syrah - I'm using this for my red batch

Lalvin QA23 - I'll be using this for a small batch of Trebbiano which I may end up blending into the rose if added freshness is required.

I'm not sure which of these yeasts to use for fermenting my pink Syrah juice. Any help appreciated!

Thanks Brub58. I picked qa23 for just that reason, but am having doubts as none of the various data sheets I've seen recommend that yeast for rose.

Another alternative I have is d47.

Thanks Brub58. I picked qa23 for just that reason, but am having doubts as none of the various data sheets I've seen recommend that yeast for rose.

Another alternative I have is d47.

I think it (QA23) would be fine. I brings out the fruitiness in whites and that is usually what I look for in a rosé. It has done really well with Pinot Grigio and peach wines I have done in the past. Planning on trying it on a White Zin (for my brother) this fall. D47 isn't a bad choice either, liked that yeast the last time I used it.

For those interested, I also emailed lallemand and received this response:

The QA23 would definitely make a lovely rosé wine.
It may be time for us to update our technical data sheet! Sometimes the revision of the traditional forms of sharing our information is a little more slow than the faster-paced online references.
Some of our yeast are isolated from a distinct fermentations, which means we KNOW it does well in these types of styles. QA23 was isolated from sparkling fermentations in Portugal. Since this time, winemakers have tried the yeast in rosé with great success, and even occasionally in red wines with good success, too, and this is how we get the feedback from the market and also research teams to let us know that the yeast is in fact well-suited in many other applications.
I would not hesitate to try the QA23 in your rosé style wine!

Latest posts

Back