Yeast for Mouvedre

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VJI324

Junior
Reaction score
Hi All - I'm looking for a yeast recommendation for the RQ Mouvedre. The kit comes with RC-212, which seems a bit generic. Anyone have any experience with Mouvedre?

Also, I'm thinking about blending in about 10% Merlot to soften it a bit. Any thoughts on that?

Just sent an email to my brew supply store as to when my RQ Monastrell (mouvedre) will be shipped. It usually gets blended with syrah and granache to make GSM.

I made a barrel of Mourvèdre in 2015. Split the lot and 1/2 was made with D80, the other 1/2 D254, then combined. Won a gold at the CA State Fair.

Hi All - I'm looking for a yeast recommendation for the RQ Mouvedre. The kit comes with RC-212, which seems a bit generic. Anyone have any experience with Mouvedre?

Also, I'm thinking about blending in about 10% Merlot to soften it a bit. Any thoughts on that?
Rc 212 is not generic it's just included cause overall it's the best lalvin yeast for red wines.

Rc 212 is not generic it's just included cause overall it's the best lalvin yeast for red wines.
You might find many folks (myself included) who find that statement to be somewhat overblown. I used to use it quite often, but seldom use it any longer, I find it to be far too needy in terms of nutrition needs.

I really like RP-15 for petite Sirah. It provides great body to a bold wine while leaving the fruit and spice present. Very similar to the Mouvedre - or at least how I like them! If it too much for your taste then you can blend it back with the merlot.

RC-212 is an isolate from Burgundy, CK. I would have thought that a true enthusiast of Cabernet Franc would prefer a Bordeaux isolate
I don't really pick and choose for all grape wines I let the native yeasts do whatever they do. For kits 99% of the time I use RC-212 and BM4x4

Latest posts

Back