yeast for co-fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanMkr

Reaction score
In the process of crushing and destemming Zin/Muscat blend for co-ferment, like the grandparents did. Just hit it with k-meta and now I'm wondering if anyone has experience with a particular yeast for a co-ferment like this?

thanks in advance!

My grandfather also did a similar blend every year. Muscat:Alicante 2:1. But always fermented separately and then blended directly after primary.
Originally he let the grapes ferment naturally (but separate) and started using yeast when the place he purchased grapes and/or juice from started including yeast with purchase. Don't know which strain but I do know they were different.

Last edited:
My grandfather also did a similar blend every year. Muscat:Alicante 2:1. But always fermented separately and then blended directly after primary.
Originally he let the grapes ferment naturally (but separate) and started using yeast when the place he purchased grapes and/or juice from started including yeast with purchase. Don't know which strain but I do know they were different.

My parents remember my grandparents wine being quite good, but they never seem to have time to make it, so I took the initiative!

Thanks for the info, very few people seem to know about co-fermentation!

Thinking of using Red Star Premier Cuvee to chow down all the extra sugar from the Muscat grapes.

EC1118 is always a good workhorse yeast. if you wish tor retain aromatics of Muscat use Cotes de Blanc.

Go to scottlabs.com and few there fermentation handbook they have yeast charts for preferred varities.

Try BM4x4 or RP15, they both work well with Zin.

I'm going to throw in one from the morewinemaking yeast selector manual: AMH: Enhances “clove” and “nutmeg” spicy elements, along with minerality in a Zin. Complex with good berry flavours and aromas.

I have used it on St. Vincent twice and really liked it. This year I am using it on my Chambourcin, to try to bring out some of these elements, if it will.

That is extremely interesting. Thank you for sharing this. I guess it sure does pay to feed your ueast and mlb the proper nutrients. With BM 4 x 4 listed as less compatible I'm going to deduce that feeding proper nutrients can cancel that out a little. -- co-inoculated and the first chromatography test I did 12 days in showed completion.
AMH seems like a winner too.
I will be doing our old family blend at some point again. And I'd love to be able to co-ferment the Alicante and Muscat. @VanMkr -- have you decided which yeast you'll be using yet?

That is extremely interesting. Thank you for sharing this. I guess it sure does pay to feed your ueast and mlb the proper nutrients. With BM 4 x 4 listed as less compatible I'm going to deduce that feeding proper nutrients can cancel that out a little. -- co-inoculated and the first chromatography test I did 12 days in showed completion.
AMH seems like a winner too.
I will be doing our old family blend at some point again. And I'd love to be able to co-ferment the Alicante and Muscat. @VanMkr -- have you decided which yeast you'll be using yet?

Yessir, I decided on Red Star Premier Cuvee. Hopefully that will not mess things up!

Latest posts

Back