Yeast for Brunello

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justsipn

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just received a Wine Expert Brunello Style Reserve Limited Edition.

It came with two yeast packets. Bourgovin RC212 and EC1118. I would prefer to replace the EC1118 with something else. I found that BM45 is very good for this grape variety. However, one site says it has "high nutritional needs" so I need to use it with GoFerm AD342 and Fermaid K AD245.

So, my question is, is it OK to mix all that with the RC212 also? I would think so, but just checking to make sure.

Thanks,

I just received a Wine Expert Brunello Style Reserve Limited Edition.

It came with two yeast packets. Bourgovin RC212 and EC1118. I would prefer to replace the EC1118 with something else. I found that BM45 is very good for this grape variety. However, one site says it has "high nutritional needs" so I need to use it with GoFerm AD342 and Fermaid K AD245.

So, my question is, is it OK to mix all that with the RC212 also? I would think so, but just checking to make sure.

Thanks,

I am a fan of BM45. However, you could look into BM4x4. IIRC, it is a proprietary combination of BM45 and an undisclosed yeast, and it supposed to mimic BM45 but with more reliable fermentation characteristics. Also, I personally don't worry about nutrients in kits, so BM45 should be fine by itself.

I am a fan of BM45. However, you could look into BM4x4. IIRC, it is a proprietary combination of BM45 and an undisclosed yeast, and it supposed to mimic BM45 but with more reliable fermentation characteristics. Also, I personally don't worry about nutrients in kits, so BM45 should be fine by itself.
Thanks for the info. I ordered the nutrients, so I might as well use them.

This is the first kit I've done that has two yeast packs. I'm interested in knowing how RC 212 and BM 45 work together.

This is the first kit I've done that has two yeast packs. I'm interested in knowing how RC 212 and BM 45 work together.
That is a good point -- there is a common suspicion that one yeast will dominate the other, so adding 2 different yeasts at the same time doesn't work as anticipated. I haven't found any research on the topic to say either way.

A good experiment would be to make two of the same kit -- #1 add both yeasts, and for #2, split the batch, add a different yeast to each, and blend post-fermentation.

That is a good point -- there is a common suspicion that one yeast will dominate the other, so adding 2 different yeasts at the same time doesn't work as anticipated. I haven't found any research on the topic to say either way.

A good experiment would be to make two of the same kit -- #1 add both yeasts, and for #2, split the batch, add a different yeast to each, and blend post-fermentation.
So, should I choose between the bm45 and RC212 and just use the EC1118 with it? That way, I would know which yeast is going to be dominant?

I am currently trying BM45 on Cab and Merlot. It has been only one day but I notice it is not a fast fermenter. I am warming up my fermentation room and added some nutrients to kickstart things
My Brunello is fermenting like crazy. But, the kit says to use two yeast packs, so I did.

I’m supposed to add yeast nutrients when SG gets to 1.02. Question, does anyone just leave the hydrometer floating in the must? Sure seems like that would be easier than cleaning and sanitizing it each time.

My Brunello is fermenting like crazy. But, the kit says to use two yeast packs, so I did.

I’m supposed to add yeast nutrients when SG gets to 1.02. Question, does anyone just leave the hydrometer floating in the must? Sure seems like that would be easier than cleaning and sanitizing it each time.

I have been known to do that! :)

I never use both yeasts. The EC1118 is just insurance for the manufacturer. I add nutrient when the ferment is 1/3 done--around 1.050-1.060

Yeah no problem now with BM45. It is cooking. But I am watching for rotten egg smell.

Ok, do I have a problem?

It was fermenting along just fine, then at .998 it stopped and has been sitting there for a couple days. Kit says it needs to get to .996 or lower.

Do I add more yeast?

Ok, do I have a problem?

It was fermenting along just fine, then at .998 it stopped and has been sitting there for a couple days. Kit says it needs to get to .996 or lower.

Do I add more yeast?
Nope. Fermentation is considered complete when the SG <= 0.998 and remains the same for 3 days. I've had wines quit at 1.002 and never budge. I'd rack into secondary and bulk age 3 months. IF the yeast isn't quite done, it will finish in the carboy. Time is your friend.

Latest posts

Back