Yeast Experiment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluecrab

Reaction score
I want to share results from my yeast experiment. I made two WE Stags Leap Merlot kits. They were made according to instructions, the only difference was the yeast used, EC-1118 vs. BM 4x4. After two years, Mrs. bluecrab and I did a taste test. I didn’t really expect to taste a difference. We were both surprised by the results. She instantly said they were different. The BM 4x4 was fruity, the EC-1118 wasn’t. It had more of what I would call an alcohol taste. I liked BM 4x4 better, she liked EC-1118 better. So, in my experience, yeast selection has a lasting effect on the taste of finished wine.

I want to share results from my yeast experiment. I made two WE Stags Leap Merlot kits. They were made according to instructions, the only difference was the yeast used, EC-1118 vs. BM 4x4. After two years, Mrs. bluecrab and I did a taste test. I didn’t really expect to taste a difference. We were both surprised by the results. She instantly said they were different. The BM 4x4 was fruity, the EC-1118 wasn’t. It had more of what I would call an alcohol taste. I liked BM 4x4 better, she liked EC-1118 better. So, in my experience, yeast selection has a lasting effect on the taste of finished wine.

Nice! Try a few blends, 50/50, 60/40 in each direction and 70/30 in each direction and see if you can blend up a winner!!

Back