Yeast and MLB shipping

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

AbruzziRed

Reaction score
I search this forum quite a bit and couldn’t find what I was looking for so I am starting a thread in case others have the same questions.

I ordered some Premier Cuvée yeast and VP41 MLB with the ice pack. It was supposed to arrive in one day. Two days later I got it and of course it’s hot here. when opening the whole box was warm and the ice melted.

So…. Does MLB and yeast go bad when it’s warm for a few days but sealed?

I can’t find a an answer so I would like to hear your thoughts.

Jim Welch

Supporting Members
Reaction score
Assuming the ice pack was actually frozen at shipment then you're talking about what 24 hours or so in a warm/hot state? If it's dry yeast I think it will be fine, one day or so won't have much affect on it. I know of instances where people received liquid yeast warm and bloated and it was still viable and dry yeast is much much more resilant than liquid yeast.
I don't know about the MLB but again one day is not that long unless it is very fragile.

Jim Welch

Supporting Members
Reaction score
A quick google search with the terms "malolactic bacteria heat stress shipping" (not in parentheses) yielded this page from Scott Labs. I'm not sure who manufactured the pack(s) you bought but it looks like one week stored at 86 degrees F and it still had over 80% viability, if I'm reading the chart right. Have a look.

Last edited:

Latest posts