Yard Full of Dandelions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xanxer82

Reaction score
The yard is full of them. Instead of breaking out the sprayer, I was thinking about making wine.
There are no pesky dogs in the yard to pee on them either.
What should I look for while harvesting them? How much do I need to make a gallon of wine?
Is there a recipie in the forum already? I'll look in my Making Wild Wines & Meads tomorrow.

there is indeed Dan, let me see if I can find a couple links for you

You only want the peatles, no leaves, no green.

You never looked at the recipe section?????????????????? You people need to have a look around here and take off your blinders! Look at the album area also. I made a 3 gallon batch of dandy last year and sweetened it with real good honey and everyone loves it, I really didnt like it till I sweetened it with honey. I only used the petals. Many actually do make it with using the full heads though.

I've made dandelion three times using different recipes, and I was disappointed every time (all three recipes used only the yellow petals pulled from the green cusps). I won't be making it again; it's too much work for a wine that takes up space in the cellar that no one likes.

You never looked at the recipe section?????????????????? You people need to have a look around here and take off your blinders! Look at the album area also. I made a 3 gallon batch of dandy last year and sweetened it with real good honey and everyone loves it, I really didnt like it till I sweetened it with honey. I only used the petals. Many actually do make it with using the full heads though.

Gonna need another ink cartridge for the printer.

Tom type in "dandelion" in the search, not much shows up. wonder if there would be any way to improve the search in here. try it for yourself!

Oh boy was it a lot of work and my back ached for days from that!!!!!!! Welcome Minnmaker. I remember you from Winepress. Please dont tell me the site is down again!

I've made dandelion three times using different recipes, and I was disappointed every time (all three recipes used only the yellow petals pulled from the green cusps). I won't be making it again; it's too much work for a wine that takes up space in the cellar that no one likes.

I'm not too crazy about dandelion wine either but do like using them as an additon to a wine. I made a 3 gallon batch of strawberry jam wine last year and added a quart and a half of dandelion petals at the start. I did backsweeten to taste and can say it turned out pretty good. As a matter of fact a few co-workers were given a bottle about a week ago. I got some really good reviews from them all.

A friend made some of this and it was very good - sounds like too much work though so I think I'll just let him do it and let him share it with me!
Luc is the dandelion king so where are you, Luc? ( probably out picking them now).

It's raining today so all of the flowers are closed.
Maybe I will harvest enough for a 1 gallon batch tomorrow if it's sunny.
Found a recipe in Making Wild Wines and Meads on page 81. :)

I have friends that make this every year. In the past it has been very good. I haven't talked to them in a while (they live in somerset county) but I'm sure they are still making it. I was already told I'm not allowed to make dandelion wine. My wife doesn't like it...

Last year I published my dandelion-strawberry wine, made with strawberry Jam. it was a great hit.
http://wijnmaker.blogspot.com/2009/04/paardenloem-aardbeien-wijn-dandelion.html

They years before I did straight dandelion: 30 liter
meaning picking 4500 dandelion petals.............
(75 gram dandelion per liter being 150 flowerpetals per liter).

This year I am aiming for an dandelion-ginger recipe.

All came out very well.

Dandelions are just starting over here, we had a long and cold winter so everything is a bit later as usual.
Anyway I will be picking soon........

Luc

So I did 1 gallon of must. Added Kmeta and now it's resting and waiting for the sulfites to wear off. Will pitch yeast tomorrow.
I used about 6 cups of petals, 2.5lb of sugar (will adjust to proper SG tomorrow) 1lb of golden raisins. Will add 1 tbsp of acid blend and 1 tsp of nutrient before pitching yeast.
I also used 1 green tea bag for some complexity.

Latest posts

Back