Ya Me, asking for suggestions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmadmikes1

smart @$$
Reaction score
Today I opened the first bottle of a 3 year old Cab Sauv. It has great flavor but no body. I was bummed to say the least. Would it be ok to blend it at this point with this years Cab or would this be a bad Idea. Hate Idea of having 2 cases of wine I worked that hard on keeping my hands off not be better than this. :(
O ya this years cab was just barreled 2 days ago

Sorry to hear that. No I wouldn't blend unless this years cab had too much body.
We need to figure out why this happened.

Mike, that must have been disappointing. I agree with Steve and I would not blend it. It might be like the lady that had two chickens and one got sick so she killed the healthy one to make chicken soup for the sick one. You could use it for cooking and topping off other reds, possibly make some wine vinegar with a few bottles.

Are the Cabs from grapes, juice or a kit?

To bad, a real bummer.

As mentioned, you can use it for cooking or just an evening porch-ponder. I would sure find a way to use it all up.

Ya, woke up this morning and knew there was no way I was going to chance messing with this years cab. The cause, my guess, they weren't on the skins long enough or my home made press didn't get enough out of the skins when they were pressed. I guess I am making sangria out of it

When you say no body do you mean no finish like its lacking in tannin or watered down?

You could add some post fermentation finishing tannin (Tancor Grand Cru) to a bottle and see what that does to the finish. You have nothing to lose in this case.

I too had some "weak" Cab, from a cheap Sun Cal kit. It was 2 years old & just lacked. I blended it with a 1 yr. old Elderberry & the results were quite good. Not sure I'll give any away, but WE like it. It was a 50/50 blend. Roy

It was not a kit, it was 110 pounds of grapes I drove to Napa to get. No Body like after first taste the mouth is empty. I am going to try adding some Tannin and age it some more. I have 2 cases so I have nothing to lose

I would not use regular tannin found in some wine supply stores as some of that stuff is pretty crappy . Go with what mike (IBGlowin) suggested. Ive used it a few times and it does wonders! Check out the link below and decide what you think wil work better in your circumstance.
http://www.scottlab.com/search.aspx?q=tannins

I almost always find myself adding Tancor Grand Cru to my kits to add a bit of body and kick. I also add 4 ounces of glycerin to 6 gallons of red wine to add some early mouthfeel. And a few times I have added two or three ounces of simple syrup to help bring forward more fruit. This is just me and many folks scoff at the glycerine but my wife and I like the effect.

Latest posts

Back