Wrong Time to Degass, oops

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burton167can

Junior
Reaction score
I have a kit of Kenridge Merlot that is scheduled to be bottled tomorrow (Friday), however on Tuesday my wife accidentally degassed the this kit instead of antoher kit with a drill stirring device, of course the kit is completley cloudy now. Typically this would not be an issue and I would let the kit clear on its own, but I have timed another kit to come out of the Primary and take the carboy that is supposed to be bottled tomorrow.

My questions is it OK to bottle the cloudy kit as long as I filter/polish it, or am I better off to purchase another carboy to rack the kit that is in the primary. I would prefer not to buy the extra carboy as I am going to slow down my wine making efforts, and 4 carboys seems excessive.

I think you're going to want to get another carboy. It's likely you'll want more as time goes on anyhow. The other option is to leave the other kit in primary a little longer, but it's probably going to take at least another week to clear.

Main thing is the kit makers say don't bottle cloudy wine. It will not clear in the bottle.

Jim

Yeah, don't bottle it, you'll get nasty sediment in the bottle. It's a good excuse to buy another carboy anyway! And your wife can't say no since it was her fault :D.

If it were me, I'd see if I could get a carboy for my wife. If you can do that, I'd say you got a pretty good deal. Two birds with one stone.
clap_1.gif

Last edited:
where do I go to trade ex wives for carboys. they aren't cracked are they???

My questions is it OK to bottle the cloudy kit as long as I filter/polish it, or am I better off to purchase another carboy to rack the kit that is in the primary. I would prefer not to buy the extra carboy as I am going to slow down my wine making efforts, and 4 carboys seems excessive.

Since you don't want to buy another carboy I believe if you filter and polish it you will be fine. I usually let it clear on its own or using a clearing agent which usually only takes a day or two and it is cleared..

Since you don't want to buy another carboy I believe if you filter and polish it you will be fine. I usually let it clear on its own or using a clearing agent which usually only takes a day or two and it is cleared..

I disagree, depending on what filter you have. If you use a minijet the pads will clog long before the wine has been filtered, and you will be left with a mess. You might be able to do it if you use a whole house filter.

Also, I ran a slightly cloudy Chilean Malbec through a #2 filter pad on my minijet, and although it came out clear it is still dropping sediment in the bottles. Only thing I can think of is it wasn't finished with the fining process and that is continuing now even though it was filtered.

I have the Buon Vino Super Jet, so the pads are bit larger than the minijet. I always use the #2 filters.

I think my best bet maybe to buy another glass carboy for $20 at the store. When I am done I can always sell it on Kijiji if I dont want it.

In my opinion, if this ended up cloudy after degassing, I would have racked one more time prior to bottleing anyway. Reason for this would be to avoid stiring up any of the sediment that caused you wine to cloud when you were performing the bottling function. It only takes slight movement to disturb the sediment, you don't want this in your bottled wine.

Buy another carboy. Let this clear again. Rack after clear. Let sit a week or 2, then bottle.

JMHO.

Latest posts

Back