Would you??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can't do it.

My Merlot from the first crop taken from my vineyard 3 years ago is getting very good (at least I think so). I have 8 bottles left and my wine growing buddy (gave him a bottle last week ) thinks I need to enter it in a small local competition.

Similar, my first Syrah from grapes 4 years ago. 10 bottles left.

I just can't give up 2 bottles for a ribbon and bragging rghts... if, it wins.

I just can't do it.

My Merlot from the first crop taken from my vineyard 3 years ago is getting very good (at least I think so). I have 8 bottles left and my wine growing buddy (gave him a bottle last week ) thinks I need to enter it in a small local competition.

Be selfish, save them for yourself. Try to see how they change and use what you learn for the next vintage. I usually find the reward of enjoying with good friends or a good buddy's feedback is worth more than a medal. I love the feedback from a competition, but consider that training. Enjoy what you have made!

I just can't do it.

Agree. The ribbon is not a given. Judges are fickle. If there were more left, I'd say go for it.

This year's crop is looking good so far. Maybe I'll have enough extra for an entry in a couple years....... Maybe.

a ribbon and bragging rghts

So many competitions and awards these days, people have developed a "shrug" mentality to most of them.

http://www.academicwino.com/2017/04/wine-awards-purchase-behavior.html/

if, it wins.

And even that often really does not mean much. Gold medal in competition A, then a week later in competition B the same wine gets zilch.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/m/2013/07/controversial-wine-judging-study-the-real-story (click here to read the actual paper Hodgson published).

In my humble opinions, the best, and most honest, competition is the public market. If people like your wine enough to pay for it, you won. :try

I just can't do it.

Ribbons and braggins can leave an aftertaste on occasion:s

Latest posts

Back