Would you still use this?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreenEnvy22

Reaction score
Back in June I started a 5 gallon batch of strawberry/rhubarb wine. It fermented from 1.08 down to 1.04 but then got stuck. It's been sitting in a carboy ever since. I figured out why it got stuck, I somehow over-sulfited it, so it's at 120ppm free SO2 (guessing maybe I added sulfite when I meant to add yeast nutrient).
It still looks, smells, and tastes fine.
So if I'm able to get free SO2 down to normal levels and get fermentation going again, would you still use it? or just dump it?

That sulfite has been protecting it so as soon as you can get it toe the point where a yeast will start - Why not. Only cost is a packet of yeast and some Yeast Nutrient. Just remember to check that label this time. :)

An update, it's still in a bucket, but sometime since september it did ferment. Checked it last night (had forgotten about it) and it's at 0.990, and SO2 level is still at 18ppm. Will rack it tomorrow and see if it's salvagable. Tasted OK but might be oxidized based on colour (bit brownish red).

I would add sulphite, sorbate and bottle, it's probably ok.

Latest posts

Back