would you kindly review my plan?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trudy said:
Hi this is my first time making wine. I bought a kit as thought this would be easier. I followed all the instructions. After seven days I added the finnings and stabiliser after seven days it should of got lighter as this is wore wine but there isn't hardly any change in colour. Is there any thing I can do? Or has it got to be thrown away?

I wouldn't throw anything away yet.

We need a little more information than this though to give you any real help. What kit are you using? And do you have a hydrometer?

It was a Wilkos chardonnay makes 30 bottles I devided it into 4 5lt plastic bottles I bought for wine making And came with a hydrometer and everything else I needed.

trudy said:
It was a Wilkos chardonnay makes 30 bottles I devided it into 4 5lt plastic bottles I bought for wine making And came with a hydrometer and everything else I needed.

The official instructions for that kit say to add 3 campden tablets and stir if it hasn't cleared by 7 days.

Usually time will clear what additives do not. I personally would try stirring the kit again and moving it to a cool place for a day or two.

What was the starting SG, what was the SG when you added the findings and stabilizer and what is the SG now?

I have added the Campden tablets will they help to clear the wine.

Update on the wine progress.

The 5 gal of Cab Sauv is about 2 weeks in the secondary and the MLF bubbling is almost imperceptible. There are about 1 cm of fine lees in the bottom that I have stirred twice now. No bad smells detected. I was worried about dilution from top off, but the wine tastes less watery than it did last week. Interesting! I also have added a significant amount of toasted oak powder 6 Tbsp. to the carboy last week. I worried it would be too much but so far the results seem to be pleasant. Boy did it foam up. I will be more careful next time. I will probably rack off in a week or two.

Hi this is my first time making wine. I bought a kit as thought this would be easier. I followed all the instructions. After seven days I added the finnings and stabiliser after seven days it should of got lighter as this is wore wine but there isn't hardly any change in colour. Is there any thing I can do? Or has it got to be thrown away?

hi Trudy, I don't want to hijack this discussion thread so it might be better if you would start a new thread with your question. But that said, one problem that prevents wines from clearing is the presence of CO2 (carbon dioxide). CO2 is one by-product of the yeast munching on the sugar and converting it to alcohol. The CO2 will slowly out-gas by itself but half the weight of the sugar becomes the gas and that gas is held inside the wine.

One effect this gas has is to hold in suspension much of the fruit and yeast particulates and so clearing the wine chemically - meaning allowing or encouraging those particles to drop out of suspension and drop to the floor of your container or carboy - will be competing with the way the gas in the wine is keeping those particles buoyant...like helium balloons in a room ..I don't know anything about the kit you are making and when it suggests you add chemicals to clear the wine but I suspect that if the wine still has most of the CO2 in the wine you are going to need to wait for the gas to be exuded before you will see much evidence of it clearing.

You do not have to wait for the gas to extrude. If you have not tried degassing your wine yet, rack your wine back into your brew bucket but press the end of your racking tube against the side of the bucket at the top so that the wine has to pour down the side of the bucket in a "sheet" of liquid. Then stir it vigorously for about 10 minutes but try to splash it as little as possible. Then rack it back into your carboy with the tube pressed against the side so that it goes down the side in a "sheet" again. You should be able to remove most if not all of the gas this way.

Latest posts

Back