would like a more Oak taste to my wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommyherman

Junior
Reaction score
I have made around 15 kits so far..... all are 16 to 18 liter kits..... never seem to have enough oak taste. I follow the kit instructions to the letter.... just wondering if I would bulk age in the Carboy with oak chips remaining in the carboy, would help my cause.... also... I admit I drink my wine way too soon.... what is the minimum aging time for decent tasting wine?

Assuming Reds, for the 16 - 18L kits about 18 months is my minimum aging time. Regarding oak, the stuff they have you dump in the primary is mainly sacrificial, you get very little oak taste from it. You need to add oak during bulk aging preferably cubes or spirals. Read up on toast levels to figure out the flavours you want and always oak to a higher level then you want as it fades with aging.

We use oak dust in the primary, oak chips go in the first & second racking so. Then we use oak spirals each racking there after. We age our Reds 18 months before bottling. Now that we have 2 barrels we age our biggest reds in them. Roy

Latest posts

Back