World's Oldest Unopened Bottle of Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raptor99

Fruit Wine Alchemist
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oldest-unopened-wine-bottle-roemerwein-2.jpg

https://mymodernmet.com/oldest-unopened-bottle-wine-world/
I wonder how it has aged? 😉

Not to be a curmudgeon but, how do they know anything about this bottle? How did they come up with a date?

One thing is for sure. If what appears to be ullage is air it is oxidized.

This bottle of wine has its own wikipedia page: Speyer wine bottle - Wikipedia
"presumed to contain liquid wine"....

Again "presumed". Maybe it contain the spinal fluid of the deceased person found in the tomb.... Let us not judge.... :)

As an historical artifact, it is amazing. Worth preserving "as is".

But.... whatever is in the bottle (and wine is still a presumption (see above linked Wikipedia page)) is today probably only of interests to biochemists.... not something anyone wants to actually drink.

If wine is not drinkable as wine... to me... it is no longer wine. It may be a great vinegar, or similar, but do not anymore call it wine. Maybe the ghost of wine long past... But seriously.... Not now wine. :cool:

Last edited:
years ago jock questio the original deep sea shows you watched in black and white and some dude that found a frozen wooly mammoth, the supposed fund raiser was 1 square inch of mammoth meat and 1 ounce of 2000 wine from some Greek or Roman ship it was claimed, the price was $100,000. that was around 40 years ago or better, Man would i have loved to,,,,,
Skoal
Dawg

But.... whatever is in the bottle (and wine is still a presumption (see above linked Wikipedia page)) is today probably only of interests to biochemists.... not something anyone wants to actually drink.
It sort of resembles a 70's lava lamp ... they're probably equally safe to drink. :p

It looks a bit like Kombucha ?
. It seems they could pierce it with a long needle- extract some fluid ( like they drain a joint in a medical procedure)
remove the contents vial and replace it with a vial of Bees wax to pump into the needle space as they extract the needle.
It seems like there could be so much to learn from that substance that it would be valuable to know.?? Unless of course they learn it’s not wine.. and it loses all the mystique -and value of an ancient wine..?🤔

It looks a bit like Kombucha ?
. It seems they could pierce it with a long needle- extract some fluid ( like they drain a joint in a medical procedure)
remove the contents vial and replace it with a vial of Bees wax to pump into the needle space as they extract the needle.
It seems like there could be so much to learn from that substance that it would be valuable to know.?? Unless of course they learn it’s not wine.. and it loses all the mystique -and value of an ancient wine..?🤔
That's hilarious (I know, warped sense of humor) - To think someone could be sipping ooze from what they think is an old wine bottle but actually a canopic jar containing the DNA of a very distant relative!
Hard pass on that tasting!!!

I was thinking the same thing. I would love to see this analyzed. I'm not sure I would want to taste it though.

The article said that it had herbs in it, so maybe those little bits we can see in the picture are herbs. I wonder if it is mead? Ancient mead makers often included herbs used for medicinal purposes.

I was thinking the same thing. I would love to see this analyzed. I'm not sure I would want to taste it though.

The article said that it had herbs in it, so maybe those little bits we can see in the picture are herbs. I wonder if it is mead? Ancient mead makers often included herbs used for medicinal purposes.
I tried my Grandparent’s Grape wine from 1967! ( made with Welch’s Grape Juice:)
I survived!! It was pretty good- and potent!.

Back