Working with juice buckets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyfire322

Reaction score
Short back story: I'm originally from near the Finger Lakes region of NYS, and also lived in the NOVA wine region (boatboy represent! ;) ). They both have hybrid varietals that I absolutely love (Norton, Chambourcin, Vidal Blanc) so I want to move on from kits (mainly due to cost).

Anywhoozles, I found a website from a vineyard in the Finger Lakes who specializes in hot packs and I also have connections in NOVA who can hook me up with a few gallons. I've read a few threads on here mentioning you'd need to pay closer attention to TA, etc. but besides that, would you consider juice pails a bit more temperamental than kits?

I went from completeing one kit then one Dragons Blood right to juice pails. Very easy to do the pails. Not really tempermental. I’m still experimenting with the pails to get a little more mouthfeel and will add either some grapes to the primary or at least raisins to my future buckets. I have done sangiovese, merlot, riesling so far from pails.

But I would encourage you to go for it.
Joe

I've read a few threads on here mentioning you'd need to pay closer attention to TA, etc. but besides that, would you consider juice pails a bit more temperamental than kits?

In general hybrids can run higher in TA than vinifera. Regardless the same basic winemaking applies. Unlike a kit, you may need to adjust acid chemically or add sugar to bring it in line. But you can also do MLF, unlike with most kit wines.

In general hybrids can run higher in TA than vinifera. Regardless the same basic winemaking applies. Unlike a kit, you may need to adjust acid chemically or add sugar to bring it in line. But you can also do MLF, unlike with most kit wines.
Yep, Make sure you research yeast as well and use whatever will bring the most out of the varietal you use. Yeast is a big deal because it does have a massive impact on the final product.

Latest posts

Back