Woodworking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
three.jpg The wife had this table that she really liked. It was an old table that had been reconditioned at least once before.

I do not know WHO did the reconditioning, but they obviously had no idea what they were doing. The table top was coming apart at the glue joints.

Seeing the Mrs. heartbroken, I told her that I would fix it.

Now, my father was a contractor. To save on mill work, he built a barn and stocked it with industrial grade equipment (table saw, radial arm saw, drill press, etc). Having grown up around these tools, and having to work for my dad whenever I had a day off, I got to know my way around woodworking.

So, I began by knocking the table top apart. The glue joints needed only a little tap to break cleanly. I then took each piece to the joiner, and then glue them back up only this time I used biscuit joinery and pipe clamps. No WAY that is coming apart again.

I did not stop there. I decided that I might as well refinish the top as well.

It was nice to do some woodworking again...

Anybody else have any projects going on?

The above is a pic of one of the side-leafs.

I can repair, I can not build furniture. Well, rough rustic stuff, not fine grade. When we lived in Fort Worth, my neighbor was a fine furniture maker. He hated finishing, I loved finishing....we made some really beautiful pieces together....he cut, I rubbed!

I just never could seem to build anything square....was always crooked or the joints cracked....I would get flustrated. Anyway, wife's uncle downs down for a week and she wanted some little out door tables built. She said just let Danny do it...which I understood but still ticked me off. Well, Danny's table sucked too! He said your table saw is out of square...no it ain't I squared it myself. He eyeballed my skill saw...said it outta square too...I grabbed my big square and showed him it was dead perfect.

Uhuh....damned old square was outta square. Went to town and he bought me a new square...we trued the saws and went back to work. Nice little tables were built. Danny never said a word about it outside of the shop that day. My favorite uncle in law!

One of my other hobbies is woodworking. Haven't don much since moving to PA a few years ago. Need to finish my garage so that I can use one bay for my shop.

Here is some re-posting of project pictures of a hallway bench that I was able to complete even though my shop is not set up...

IMAG0350[2].jpg IMAG0363[1].jpg IMAG0377[1].jpg IMAG0381[1].jpg

A friend lived with us for a while, and she had an old church lectern she used to hold her cookbooks. This was lovely, as you could set the book open to a recipe while cooking, then put it away afterwards. She moved into her own place, and I missed the lectern (as well as her!), so I did my maple-and-purpleheart "take" on a cookbook lectern:

lectern.jpg

A friend lived with us for a while, and she had an old church lectern she used to hold her cookbooks. This was lovely, as you could set the book open to a recipe while cooking, then put it away afterwards. She moved into her own place, and I missed the lectern (as well as her!), so I did my maple-and-purpleheart "take" on a cookbook lectern:

That's awesome! That's the quality of woodworking I do... [in my dreams :(]

This is scary. All of sudden all these "Woodworking" ads are showing up on my PC.

This is from a couple of years ago also. It's a side board I made up because we bought the table and chairs but they didn't have a matching sideboard. I recycled oak from an old shelf unit for the frame and new poplar for the top and doors. Lori came up with the idea of staining it blue then red then black to try to match the depth and hue of the table finish and pretty much nailed it.
Mikea1.JPGa2.JPGa3.JPG

The doors are 8" thick with 5" of closed cell insulation. The doors are to a 20 x 100' cave with a 10' arched ceiling we built. The doors faced south so we needed proper insulaton We had the hinges fabricated to represent a medieval look. I wish I had them made larger though.

Attachments

• Ext Cave Entrance.jpg
    Ext Cave Entrance.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 44
I can repair, I can not build furniture. Well, rough rustic stuff, not fine grade. When we lived in Fort Worth, my neighbor was a fine furniture maker. He hated finishing, I loved finishing....we made some really beautiful pieces together....he cut, I rubbed!

I just never could seem to build anything square....was always crooked or the joints cracked....I would get flustrated. Anyway, wife's uncle downs down for a week and she wanted some little out door tables built. She said just let Danny do it...which I understood but still ticked me off. Well, Danny's table sucked too! He said your table saw is out of square...no it ain't I squared it myself. He eyeballed my skill saw...said it outta square too...I grabbed my big square and showed him it was dead perfect.

Uhuh....damned old square was outta square. Went to town and he bought me a new square...we trued the saws and went back to work. Nice little tables were built. Danny never said a word about it outside of the shop that day. My favorite uncle in law!
Best thing I ever bought. My intent on buying it was to build oak casks for aging wine, getting the angles true on the staves. I haven't gotten around to those yet but it dang sure works. Have used it to set my drill press, table and compound miter saws.

Wine_4.PNG

The doors are 8" thick with 5" of closed cell insulation. The doors are to a 20 x 100' cave with a 10' arched ceiling we built. The doors faced south so we needed proper insulaton We had the hinges fabricated to represent a medieval look. I wish I had them made larger though.

Ummm, wowzers. You gotta be kidding me! That is awesome.

This is from a couple of years ago also. It's a side board I made up because we bought the table and chairs but they didn't have a matching sideboard. I recycled oak from an old shelf unit for the frame and new poplar for the top and doors. Lori came up with the idea of staining it blue then red then black to try to match the depth and hue of the table finish and pretty much nailed it.
MikeView attachment 45251View attachment 45252View attachment 45253

Wow, I NEVER would have thought of a BLUE stain. Kudos to your better half. Also, the workmanship of the sideboard is top-notch!

Wow! An impressive thread. Me, I started making a new top for our dining room table. 8/4 white oak. I made the table a fe2 Year’s ago, my bride wanted reclaimed white oak. All I could find here in the West was old truck bed. Rustic enough, and all but she hates smoking and the obvious cigarette burns turn her off. So this Christmas it is a new top.

I have to build a shoe removal bench soon. I like this. Mind if I steal the design? ;)

Go right ahead. As I understand it there is no "stealing" in woodworking projects, just borrowing and sharing ideas. My design for the bench was driven/dictated by the hallway shelving (commercial) which the previous owner of the house left in place. The new/matching bench replaced one of my 30 year old benches that didn't match the shelving. [The new bench now sits directly under the shelving and in my opinion matches the shelving fairly well.IMAG0378[1].jpg IMAG0380[1].jpg

Best thing I ever bought. My intent on buying it was to build oak casks for aging wine, getting the angles true on the staves. I haven't gotten around to those yet but it dang sure works. Have used it to set my drill press, table and compound miter saws.

View attachment 45278

That's kind of neat. Never knew something like that existed.

Back