Woodworking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is not woodworking but the inside of the cave. Forgot I had this picture. To build the ceiling we poured the walls and placed shoring scaffold with plywood at an angle. We then placed dirt on the plywood to create the arch and placed the steel and concrete directly on the dirt. The dirt stained the concrete so when we stripped the forms it looks like tunnel was carved out of the earth.

Attachments

• Inside of cave.jpeg
    Inside of cave.jpeg
    247.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Ceiling Form.jpg
    Ceiling Form.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 58
This is not woodworking but the inside of the cave. Forgot I had this picture. To build the ceiling we poured the walls and placed shoring scaffold with plywood at an angle. We then placed dirt on the plywood to create the arch and placed the steel and concrete directly on the dirt. The dirt stained the concrete so when we stripped the forms it looks like tunnel was carved out of the earth.

I am so jealous of that cave. Unbelievable amount of work, but so cool!

Thanks everyone. The Owner told me to build her a wine cellar and the dimensions were dictated by the site. Even though it's just a hole in the ground it was my most unique project. Theoretically if it's 5' under ground in our area it should maintain 55 degrees and 70-80% humidity which it does.

What did you use for the bands and what is the diameter and height. Trying to get mine built for spring grapes.
Fred, I bought a "kit" off the internet, like $79. It included all the metal parts including the SS bands & handle with screw. The inside diameter is 12" the height is 14". If you want I have a cd on how to build it, it came with the kit. PM me your address and it's yours. Roy

Fred, I bought a "kit" off the internet, like $79. It included all the metal parts including the SS bands & handle with screw. The inside diameter is 12" the height is 14". If you want I have a cd on how to build it, it came with the kit. PM me your address and it's yours. Roy

Thanks Roy, do you find 12 and 14 good sizes? I have the luxury of making mine any size I want. I'm debating which would work better, wider then tall or taller then wide. I'm having a problem figuring out how differently the pressure would affect the press. It's just not coming to me.

Wow, you folks do nice work. My idea of fine carpentry is a sawsall and a sledge hammer. Patience is not one of my greater virtues when it comes to woodworking. Guess it is the same with my winemaking, always have to get into a carboy to see how it tastes. Other than that I have no problems letting it sit. Arne.

I spent almost 40 years building high end cabinets and furniture. I'm not sure what the current product is, but I used Scherwin Williams water based lacquer on my own tables and cabinets. The kitchen table has been used daily for 16 years and the finish is still about perfect.

Can anybody recommend a good finish for a tabletop?

Depends on what look you want, and what the table will be used for. For example, for a side table, I prefer a penetrating oil like tung oil myself. But see more options at:

Wood Finishes 101

Water based varnish is one option for heave use products. Here are some good tips how to apply it with ideal results:

Tips for Using Water Based Varnish

Thanks Roy, do you find 12 and 14 good sizes? I have the luxury of making mine any size I want. I'm debating which would work better, wider then tall or taller then wide. I'm having a problem figuring out how differently the pressure would affect the press. It's just not coming to me.
Fred, I would go taller not wider, think wider would require more pressure on the screw to press. We like the 12" dia & 14 high basket. Seems to work great for the 8 lugs we press each year. Your wine cave looks great! Now besides owning Trawlers we are both builders too! Roy

Fred, I would go taller not wider, think wider would require more pressure on the screw to press. We like the 12" dia & 14 high basket. Seems to work great for the 8 lugs we press each year. Your wine cave looks great! Now besides owning Trawlers we are both builders too! Roy

Perfect, thanks. Would not have guessed that size would handle 8 lugs. My son is a caddie and works at Calusa Pines in Naples in the winter. What is your boat?

John, keep in mind that if you use water base, you will get a slight grain raise on the first coat. Actually this is good and after it's sanded off, makes a smoother finish. Also important, don't recoat to soon. Each coat needs to dry well or the next coat actually softens the one under it. When that happens, you get a really crazed finish.

Back