Wood chips in Dextrose?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

Kellcin

Junior
Reaction score
I started a new batch of Muscadine wine tonight. I purchased my dextrose from a wine and beer supply store, It was bulk and they bagged up what I asked for. As I started dissolving it tonght I noticed small wood chips or flakes floating in the water. I used a scsreen to get it out. Is this normal? I've only ever used dextrose one time before and it was pre-packaged. I am planning on calling the store tomorrow and asking but hate to look foolish if this is normal from bulk dextrose, so I thought i would take the chance to look foolish here.

winemanden

Reaction score
I started a new batch of Muscadine wine tonight. I purchased my dextrose from a wine and beer supply store, It was bulk and they bagged up what I asked for. As I started dissolving it tonght I noticed small wood chips or flakes floating in the water. I used a scsreen to get it out. Is this normal? I've only ever used dextrose one time before and it was pre-packaged. I am planning on calling the store tomorrow and asking but hate to look foolish if this is normal from bulk dextrose, so I thought i would take the chance to look foolish here.
No idea, but why dextrose? What's wrong with cane or beet sugar?

Kellcin

Junior
Reaction score
No idea, but why dextrose? What's wrong with cane or beet sugar?
When I first started making wine in 2014, the shop I bought my supplies from suggested I use dextrose. He said it made a big difference in flavor, specifically a twang. He said if he tastes a wine he an tell right off if someone used regular cane sugar. So I used it with my first Muscadine. Each year after that I used regular cane sugar off the shelf because it is easier to get. No doubt though, and although I follow the exact recipe carefully, barring the dextrose, my 2014 wine was absolutely the best. So this year I am going with dextrose to see if it truly makes the difference. It was certainly easier to dissolve, so if nothing else the process was a little easier.

Eric Huser

Reaction score
Don't know about the wood chips, but you get a much cleaner ferment from corn sugar (Dextrose) vs Cane or Beet (Sucrose). Or just invert the sucrose and boil it with some acid and get glucose and fructose. Great idea sticking with the exact recipe.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Reaction score

Wayne Freeman

Reaction score
When I first started making wine in 2014, the shop I bought my supplies from suggested I use dextrose. He said it made a big difference in flavor, specifically a twang. He said if he tastes a wine he an tell right off if someone used regular cane sugar. So I used it with my first Muscadine. Each year after that I used regular cane sugar off the shelf because it is easier to get. No doubt though, and although I follow the exact recipe carefully, barring the dextrose, my 2014 wine was absolutely the best. So this year I am going with dextrose to see if it truly makes the difference. It was certainly easier to dissolve, so if nothing else the process was a little easier.
I can't speak about cane sugar vs dextrose in wine (I don't make sweet wines) but I started making beer many years ago before dextrose was widely available so I used cane sugar. The beer I made in those days using cane sugar had a distinct apple cider-y flavor, even when only used for CO2 charging. My first batch made using dextrose was a revelation.

Latest posts