Wondering about aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crisella

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a question. My first batch of merlo is just about ready for bottling. It is completely de gassed and almost clear. My question is: the wine seems to have a "light body" to it. Will this improve during aging? It's way darker tan say a white zinfindel but not as dark as a regular merlo. By the way, it was a Merlo juice kit from Corrado's. Thanks

And, just to clarify by body I mean the actual color of the wine. It does not taste bad at all and I'm sure that will improve my main concern is that I could have done something wrong. Like I said before, this is my first batch of wine so if it's not perfect, that's what practice is for. Thanks again everyone, Jimmy

It woukld really help to kmow what you are making exactly like is this a cheaper kit or juice bucket? I can tell its not a grapeskin kit cause you would not be saying it was light in color! Im guessing this is a cheaper kit and they are always light on body and color due to the amount of water added to them and these kits are also usually lower in alc compared to the higher end kits and commercial versions of this varietal. Im sure you did everything right and that this wone is made per instructions!

Thanks Wade, yes it was a juice bucket kit (about 44 bucks) so it was a "lower end kit" so to speak. I guess I'm on target then. Also, the RJ pino gris kit that I'm making seems right on the money. Well like I said, the merlo was my forst batch and I didn't want to spend too much money for the first time if I didn't like making wine but I am really enjoying it!

Each to his/her own opinion, but IMO, stick with the premium kits, especially kits with grape packs (for red wines). After waiting a year or two for a wine to be ready, it is a shame to have to say, "Gee, now that I have waited THIS LONG, sure wish I had spent another $30 for the better kit."

Again, there are all kinds of wine makers and opinions.

You bought the CA juice in a 6 gallon bucket from Corrados RIGHT?
The "body" color will not change. Next time add tannin and 2#'s of raisins or add some "like" grapes.

You bought the CA juice in a 6 gallon bucket from Corrados RIGHT?
The "body" color will not change. Next time add tannin and 2#'s of raisins or add some "like" grapes.

That; exactly what I bought Tom. I'm not sure if I would buy juice like that again especially after making (in progress) an Rj spagnols pino gris kit which looks amazing after only 10 day's. I'm sure that many people have good luck with the 6 gallon juice buckets though...:a1

I make wine from CA, Italian and Chilean wines from juice. I have heard a few from those getting it from Corrados that its thin , Color etc
I have not had the problem you said though

Latest posts

Back