Women winemakers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My apologies for any Male bias that may have been shown on here but in my experience my naive eyes have not seen any. Wine making is a gender neutral hobby. I don't assume that a male or female has any particular advantage other than perhaps the physical ability to lift 5/6.5 gallon glass carboys when filled. Even that 'Advantage' can fade quickly as we all age.

Personally I will help anyone on here without any regard to age or gender as long as they show a willingness to learn and not respond with any antagonistic commentary. Sadly that seems to happen with some who, once you READ their posts, are looking for cheap fast hooch. Those folks I prefer not to respond to as well as those who choose to ignore some of the well recognize practices or worst of all bring up that forbidden "D" word that shall not be discussed on open forums like this.

Hope this doesn't offend, not the intent, but; more to welcome ANYONE who wishes to join in sharing experiences and seek help or information on this hobby.

I'm a died in the wool "Tomboy" and have been as long as I can remember. I have no problem with gender identity, however. I know I'm a female through and through in a man's world. I say that due to the fact that I have worked shoulder to shoulder with the men in our family, on our farm and on multiple jobs over the years.

I made my first batch of wine years ago with no help and very little knowledge of what I was doing. I turned out awful and ended up being wasted. Being frugal I hated the fact that I had wasted that and didn't make any more for years. I am getting back into it just now and am educating myself as much as I can. I recently purchased a home with a small vineyard and it is my intention to get it back in shape and grow grapes for wine, juice, table and maybe even make some raisins. Before my first crop I want to have some winemaking experience under my belt so I don't waste any of these.

As far as my wine tastes, it's like several have said. I started out with a white zinfandel and gewürztraminer, which I still enjoy on occasion. I've slowly progressed to a dryer red, however I'm still not a big fan of much tannin.

I am also a woman and I took over the wine making when my husband died. I make it with my daughter and its been great making it with her. I am retired and the only reason I can make it as I can not lift the carboys is my husband had gotten the All in One Wine Pump. It works great and I never have to move a full carboy.

We both prefer reds, and this year we will be trying some of the limited edition kits. I am still learning.. It seems the more we learn the more we find there is to learn. This forum is great and from what I have seen everyone is really nice and helpful. My biggest problem with winemaking is finding enough room to store it while it ages. 😁

Latest posts

Back