Wiring up 220v destemmer to dryer plug in garage

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rgpress

Junior
Reaction score
Hi
Setting up small winery in garage. I would like to connect a cable from my 220v dryer outlet (NEMA 10-30) to a NEMA L6-30 to run a Zambelli Gamma 40 220 volt grape destemmer for winemaking. The motor for the destemmer is 220v, 12 amps.

is this ok to do?

Has anyone done this?

Any ideas on how to wire to the destemmer?

Thanks very much.

Bob

I am not a sparky, so the following should be considered in that light. I have never done what you are asking about.

The "ground" on the 10-30 does not actually go to the "real ground," but rather goes to the neutral terminal. This should be the same as ground, but then again, I should be rich and good-looking. On the other hand, the ground on the L6-30 indeed goes to system ground, i.e., "real ground."

In all likelihood, you could get away with what you are suggesting. The downside is that if your neutral connector for this circuit gets disconnected at the panel, you could theoretically acquire a lethal voltage on the frame of your destemmer (which "thinks" it is hooked up to a real ground).

However, can you consider another option? You could convert the outlet for your dryer to 14-30 or L14-30. This has both a real ground and a neutral connection. Then, you could safely put a L14-30 plug on your dryer (with no ground wire attached, only the neutral), and you could safely make an L14 to L6 cable to run your destemmer (leaving the neutral wire unattached). Best of both worlds.

Ok, I'm a sparky but this is free information outside my license:r of course I'm happy to come consult for wine and expenses.

The first question is amperage, as in the wire size to the dryer outlet. Look at the breaker. It should be 30A, and if done by code will be the right wire size. Should be as the outlet you name is 30A. The destemmer you say is only 12, so you are good.

Both you reference are three wire circuits. Two are phase or hot conductors, the third is neutral. By the NEC in the US, the neutral and ground are the same for three wire circuits. Importantly to all of you, current code is a four wire circuit where there is a natural and ground conductor. These are better and safer.

So, if it were me, and this is free advice, I'd open the dryer outlet and see if they ran a four wire cable, if not, can you? The reason is the fourth wire gives you protection for a short in your crusher to the frame, bet it is metal, wet hands, etc. if not, don't panic, you can still do it, just not as safe.

1, if there are 4 wires to the dryer receptacle, swap it out for a four wire one. Then swap out the plug on the destemmer. Oh, you'll have to run a frame ground as well, so you can replace with a new " 4 wire dryer cord".

2. If you only have three wires, swap out either the receptacle or plug for the match. Usually the receptacle is easier. They sell them at the big box or hardware stores.

Both are good for 30 Amps. The 4 wire option just gives you more safety.

You can, and I recommend it, get a three wire two pole GFCI breaker. They are expensive, as in a $100 bucks or so, but will protect you from a short in the destemmer to the frame. That's the pro in me.

Anyway, easily done. Pm me if you want to talk it over.

Not only am I not an electrician, but once successfully electrocuted myself plugging in an appliance (long story).

So here is my question: Would a step up transformer simply plugged into any 110 V outlet be an option for the electrically incompetent like me?

given all of the possible changes required you are better off safety wise to hire a electrician to wire the proper plug to the breaker box with a new breaker.

Not only am I not an electrician, but once successfully electrocuted myself plugging in an appliance (long story).

So here is my question: Would a step up transformer simply plugged into any 110 V outlet be an option for the electrically incompetent like me?

Only if the step up is rated for the current, Or Watts (amps x volts) and then the 110v would need to be a 60A. in this case, easier to swap the plug.

Would not use a trafo as the neutral is a floating 0V center tap and not connected to gnd. Neutral btw in your house is also a floating 0V center tap on the trafo at the pole - tied to earth-gnd at your main panel..... Residential 110V circuits are 20A so you;re not going to get 60A - It will pop the breaker at least.

You can make it work with the three prong dryer cord but like others have said you really need a dedicated GND conductor for proper safety and a grounded chassis - ie; a four wire circuit.

Best way is a add a dedicated circuit to your panel. Once you have it terminated into an access box you can extend it fairly easily too..

Cheers!
-johann

Latest posts

Back