Winter protection?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinoed09

Junior
Reaction score
Aside from my mystery vine that sounds very much like it could be Isabella, I’ve planted a few varieties to see what works best here - marechal Foch, Frontenac, Vidal etc. What has your experience been over the winter months with damage to young canes? I bought some collars for a couple new peach trees I put in because they’re very delicate - should I do that for the grapes? Will rabbits or deer strip the bark off of them or will they be okay?

Aside from my mystery vine that sounds very much like it could be Isabella, I’ve planted a few varieties to see what works best here - marechal Foch, Frontenac, Vidal etc. What has your experience been over the winter months with damage to young canes? I bought some collars for a couple new peach trees I put in because they’re very delicate - should I do that for the grapes? Will rabbits or deer strip the bark off of them or will they be okay?
deer and rabbits are only good when cooked, them devils destroy most all fruit trees, the only kind my deer and rabbits leave alone is my plum trees, as for grapes i figure they tastes good to the varmints as well,,,,
Dawg

I've seen all the vineyards in my area collar the new and smaller vines to protect them from the critters. Mostly French Hybrid grapevines.

Latest posts

Back