WineXpert Winexpert vs Cellar Craft

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toneill

Reaction score
To date I have only made WE kits, about 24 of all grades. Nothing wrong with them in fact some are finishing after my first year pretty good. Recently expanded into some CC showcase kits, Cab and Chateau du pape. Does anyone have any experience in comparison between the two brands? I'd love to hear comments.

thx

To date I have only made WE kits, about 24 of all grades. Nothing wrong with them in fact some are finishing after my first year pretty good. Recently expanded into some CC showcase kits, Cab and Chateau du pape. Does anyone have any experience in comparison between the two brands? I'd love to hear comments.

thx

Not sure what grade of kits you've been making from WE, but here's how I see it from the Showcase/Eclipse end of the spectrum. CC Showcase in the past has offered some of the best kits available, a year or three ago WE and CC merged. The Eclipse line seemed like it was born from the success of CC Showcase line, but never quite reaching the same level. Currently they seem to be quite similar, which leads me to believe the Showcase and Eclipse lines are becoming one in the same. Which is unfortunate since the Eclipse line, as good as it is, doesn't quite match up to the old Showcase line that it took it's roots from, and is most likely going to replace.

Not sure what grade of kits you've been making from WE, but here's how I see it from the Showcase/Eclipse end of the spectrum. CC Showcase in the past has offered some of the best kits available, a year or three ago WE and CC merged.
Sort of. Andrew Peller has owned both for a long time, but in early 2014 re-organized the kit part into Global Vintners. (http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44083 )
The Eclipse line seemed like it was born from the success of CC Showcase line, but never quite reaching the same level. Currently they seem to be quite similar, which leads me to believe the Showcase and Eclipse lines are becoming one in the same. Which is unfortunate since the Eclipse line, as good as it is, doesn't quite match up to the old Showcase line that it took it's roots from, and is most likely going to replace.
Can't speak to the quality, but my records indicate that the first eclipse kit I made was February/2013, well before the re-organization.

Sort of. Andrew Peller has owned both for a long time, but in early 2014 re-organized the kit part into Global Vintners. (http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44083 )

Can't speak to the quality, but my records indicate that the first eclipse kit I made was February/2013, well before the re-organization.

The timing of the re-organization doesn't matter much if they were already owned by the same parent company. Information and ingredients we're most likely already shared across brands at that point. It would be interesting if Tim V. would divulge what happened during his time at WE, but since he's still working in the industry, it's probably not in his best interest.

Very interesting. I'm a newbie and have both sitting in my basement.....waiting to start.

Same as Elizajean, I now have both kits readying for build. Regarding the Cabernet (Eclipse Lodi/CC Sonoma) they are from different vineyards, which will be better? And the Chateauneuf Du Pape is a grape skin pack in CC vs WE which isn't which should make an arguably better product.

Interesting about WE buying CC, didn't know that.

Thx

I started out with WE and they have all turned out good. This summer i tried a CRU kit. It is another company out of Canada and I was impressed. They are a little cheaper than WE but still good quality. I cannot remember the parent companies name right now though.

Cellar Craft Update

So I just started my first batch of CC, Chateau Du Pays. As I mentioned, I've only made WE up to this point. Very similar kits, instructions are a bit different, but nothing significant. To me, almost like one in the same. I'll see how the quality of taste compares...in about 12 months! Was encouraged that the CC CDP, has a grape skin pack vs WE CDP Selection series does not. Hopefully that will be even better than the WE.

I started out with WE and they have all turned out good. This summer i tried a CRU kit. It is another company out of Canada and I was impressed. They are a little cheaper than WE but still good quality. I cannot remember the parent companies name right now though.

RJ Spagnols I believe. Prior to moving from CT to PA all i did was RJS kits and one MM kit. Now in PA I've done a bunch of WE kits and one CC kit. I slightly prefer RJS kits over WE because of the clearing process using a two part clearing agent equal to SuperKleer.

I find that comparable kits ( roughly the same volume and $'s ) are similar in quality. I look at Special Editions and pick what looks interesting without favoriting a company. However I have been really happy with the Eclipse kits.

Just started my CC Sterling Californis Chardonnay today. Next week, I start the WE Eclipse Chardonnay. Will be interesting.

I have not made either but comparing them may not be fair to the CC Sterling California Chardonnay since it is a 12L 5 week kit and the WE Eclipse Chardonnay is a 18L 6-8 week kit. I would expect the eclipse to be the better of the 2.

cheers

Will keep in mind. Learning on the Honda!

Being a professional in one of these two fields, and an enthusiastic hobbyist in the other, here's my two cents:
As far as automobiles are concerned, I'd recommend the Honda over the Mercedes every time due to considerably better reliability and much higher re-sale value. But if you have an excess of additional means, why not go for the extra luxury and wow factor?
Whereas with wine kits, I'd recommend the exact opposite. Buy the absolute best quality kit you can financially justify, the difference in price per bottle between the middle of the road and top of the line is marginal at best, unlike the automotive world. But the difference in the end product is well worth the marginal increase in price.

Being a professional in one of these two fields, and an enthusiastic hobbyist in the other, here's my two cents:
As far as automobiles are concerned, I'd recommend the Honda over the Mercedes every time due to considerably better reliability and much higher re-sale value. But if you have an excess of additional means, why not go for the extra luxury and wow factor?
Whereas with wine kits, I'd recommend the exact opposite. Buy the absolute best quality kit you can financially justify, the difference in price per bottle between the middle of the road and top of the line is marginal at best, unlike the automotive world. But the difference in the end product is well worth the marginal increase in price.

Agreed! I bought both before I knew very much, so I'm sure it will bear out that the higher quality kit will yield a higher quality wine. So, I'm learning on the CC and then will start the eclipse. Thanks!

Agreed! I bought both before I knew very much, so I'm sure it will bear out that the higher quality kit will yield a higher quality wine. So, I'm learning on the CC and then will start the eclipse. Thanks!

i was not saying that the CC would be bad. just that the eclipse will most likely impress you more.

cheers

Latest posts

Back