Winexpert Selection Italian Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevelaz

Reaction score
Is this a good kit? Has anyone used this Amarone before? Is this considered a higher end kit? Never did kit before and thinking of trying it.

Homebrew Supply has this kit for $103.00, and then 18.00 Fed ex ground shipping, $121 total. Great price. My dealer by me sells exact kit for $168.00

I consider an 18L kit with skins and oak high end. That's a great price assuming you're getting a fresh kit - manufacture date showing kit less than 6 months old.

Thats the next thing i was going to ask. Is it ok if i get it now and start in month or two. I think i will try to call them tomorrow to see if i can find out how old the kits are at that price.

I agree, this is a very good kit and in my regular rotation. I made this 4-5 times. I have a few cases that are 2+ years old and excellent. I also drank many more approaching a year old and they were very good too.

Last edited:
I consider an 18L kit with skins and oak high end. That's a great price assuming you're getting a fresh kit - manufacture date showing kit less than 6 months old.

So, what happens to kits as they age? I never thought to look for a date on them.

They all have manufacture dates on them, and shelf lives based upon the type of kit that they are. The chems can get old as well. I took a chance on an expired / reduced price kit from my LHBS once, and it was just fine. Second time I did it, the juice was oxidized and discolored and I pitched it.

You can get the same kit for about the same price from "Label Peelers" and the kit will be fresh. They are the only seller I deal with and their everyday prices are hard to beat.

So, what happens to kits as they age? I never thought to look for a date on them.

I should have typed 12 months not six months for an 18L kit. Lower end kits are okay for 18-24 months. [I got this info, years ago, from RJS CS.]

I'll ditto what johnd posted with regards to aged kits.

They all have manufacture dates on them, and shelf lives based upon the type of kit that they are. The chems can get old as well. I took a chance on an expired / reduced price kit from my LHBS once, and it was just fine. Second time I did it, the juice was oxidized and discolored and I pitched it.

Just how does juice oxidize...in a sealed bag with no air??? :?

Well, i ordered the kit yesterday, total with shipping was 120.00. I called them first and the guy assured me is was not an old kit, and i should have it in about 5 days. In fact i just checked and it shipped out yesterday afternoon already. When i get the kit i will let you know the date on it.

I also checked label peeler and yes prices are very good there too, the same price with shipping for the same kit!

UPDATE:

Dam! Just received my kit, That was fast! However, i do not see a date of expiration anywhere or any other date. Where should i find that?

Also, i opened to make sure everything was there and noticed the grape pack is in a plastic bag with a screw cap, like the juice bag, but smaller bag. It is kind of mushy liquid. Is that how its supposed to be? I thought it would be dried skins. When you put it in the mesh bag do you squeeze out the liquid before butting it in? Thanks. Probably will not be able to start till next week...

That's the way the skins come. I soak them in warm water before transferring them to the mesh bag. They seem a little easier to remove after soaking. I found it's easiest to cut 1 side off the bag and squeeze the contents into the mesh bag. I usually use a spoon after squeezing to get out the remaining contents. I also add all the wood dust to the bag. That makes for less liquid waste when racking from the fermenter to a carboy.

I was just looking at the 2 chaptalization sugar packs and i noticed little light brown clumps throughout the mix in both bags. Is that normal? what is that? I figured this should be pure white.

I was just looking at the 2 chaptalization sugar packs and i noticed little light brown clumps throughout the mix in both bags. Is that normal? what is that? I figured this should be pure white.

Don't know specifically what they are, but I have seen them as you describe, and others with pure corn sugar and no specks in them. At any rate, there's nothing wrong with your packs.

Don't know specifically what they are, but I have seen them as you describe, and others with pure corn sugar and no specks in them. At any rate, there's nothing wrong with your packs.

Yep. Same happened to me - air, a little moisture, and sugar does that I think. You can ask for replacements from your retailer, but there's nothing wrong with them.

Ok, Thanks!

If im reading the right date code then the kit is not old at all. Im looking at the numbers: 4 216 16. If im correct the 4 means nothing, the 216 is the day of the year which is aug 3, and 16 meaning 2016. Also the yeast packets have an expiration date of 7-2018.

Also, the directions for the chaptalisation say to "dissolve the contents of both Chaptaisation packs into 1 1/2 cups hot water". Is that enough water for both packs or is it 1 1/2 cup for each pack? Thanks!

Also, the directions for the chaptalisation say to "dissolve the contents of both Chaptaisation packs into 1 1/2 cups hot water". Is that enough water for both packs or is it 1 1/2 cup for each pack? Thanks!

I looked up your instructions on line, dissolve both in the 1.5 cups hot water. This addition should not take place until your wine has been fermenting for several days and the SG is at 1.015 or lower.

Latest posts

Back