Winexpert Selection California Viognier Wine Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troycifer

Junior
Reaction score
I really enjoy viogniers. This kit is 16L and is on sale at Labelpeelers. RJS sells a 18L En Primeur Italian Vigonier for about twice as much.
Has anyone tried the Winexpert kit? Thoughts? Recommendations?

It doesn't matter which it's your plan for making them and your affordable that sets the stage.
Viognier is an excellent white just don't forget to add 1/2 of a grapefruit zest to the primary and your ABV should be at least 10-12 %.
Stay in touch.đź‘Ť

Thank you @joeswine. I ended up going with the RJS Italy Viognier that came with 18 liters of concentrate. Started out with a SG 1.102. Eight days after starting fementation, it was at SG 0.994 and I racked into a carboy on 6/11/20. At that point it was VERY DRY without much flavor (it actually had more flavor at SG 1.008, so I am wondering if I let it ferment too long). I did not see your message until after I racked it otherwise I would have added the grapefruit zest.
Any suggestions before we bottle?

Before you bottle add the grapefruit zest and let it sit for a couple of weeks, then bottle.
Not to late to add crispness.

At that point it was VERY DRY without much flavor (it actually had more flavor at SG 1.008, so I am wondering if I let it ferment too long).

It most likely had more flavor at SG=1.008 because it tasted sweeter due to the residual sugar. You can't ferment wine too long unless the plan was to try to stop the fermentation at some point in order to retain a wine's sweetness. Doing that results in less alcohol and an unbalanced wine. Stabilize the wine and give it time to age a few months in the carboy. Then taste it again. If it isn't developing like you hoped, you can add grapefruit zest to it if you like that taste and/or you can sweeten it at that time.

@rustbucket and @joeswine, thank you for these suggestions! So helpful! I have a grapefruit tree and will follow these suggestions! Do I need to do anything special to the grapefruit skins before zesting or any thing i should know before adding the zest to my carboy? I am a complete newbie. Thanks to both of you for your help!

Just wash before as usual , always remember less is more, Start with 1)2 zest of a grapefruit to start.

@joeswine @rustbucket
do I just put the zest directly into the carboy or do I need to put it in a bag?
Also, the wine has been in the carboy for just a week. I did a little sample and there is more flavor now and it is nice and clear. But, a very slight wetdog flavor. It is not overwhelming and, actually the wine tastes good. I sterilized everything with Star San and I am wondering if that has something to do with it. Is this something I should worry about? If so, is there something I can do about it?
Thank you for your help!

Latest posts

Back