WineXpert WIneXpert Riesling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alecia68

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After making one gallon batches from WE I finally made a 6 gallon batch Riesling. I thought it came out a bit thin and harsh. Will age in the bottle to see if flavor improves as well. My one gallon batches from WE turned out well. any thoughts?

I just bottled. 4 week kit.
At 4 weeks old, it's so young that it's not going to taste good. Give it 3 months of aging, it will probably be totally different.

In the future, don't bottle on kit schedule. After the wine is cleared, bulk age at least 3 months, so you're bottling no sooner than the 4 month mark. Wine goes through a LOT of chemical changes during the first 6 to 12 months of its existence, and more time in bulk gives it a chance to do this as a whole.

If the wine is thin, adding glycerin helps, 1/2 to 1 oz per gallon.

I assume you purchased WE? Which grade of kit? Classic makes an ok wine, Reserve is better. The higher end kits make a better wine, but I'm not sold on whether they are worth the extra money.

At 4 weeks old, it's so young that it's not going to taste good. Give it 3 months of aging, it will probably be totally different.

In the future, don't bottle on kit schedule. After the wine is cleared, bulk age at least 3 months, so you're bottling no sooner than the 4 month mark. Wine goes through a LOT of chemical changes during the first 6 to 12 months of its existence, and more time in bulk gives it a chance to do this as a whole.

If the wine is thin, adding glycerin helps, 1/2 to 1 oz per gallon.

I assume you purchased WE? Which grade of kit? Classic makes an ok wine, Reserve is better. The higher end kits make a better wine, but I'm not sold on whether they are worth the extra money.
Thank you for the helpful advice! I am bulk aging country wines….apple, peach and strawberry.

Thank you for the helpful advice! I am bulk aging country wines….apple, peach and strawberry.
Great!

FYI, I keep my winemaking notes online (see my sig), and make fresh grapes & juice, kits, and country wines. It may help you to see how I do things, keeping in mind that there's more than 1 path in winemaking.

Great!

FYI, I keep my winemaking notes online (see my sig), and make fresh grapes & juice, kits, and country wines. It may help you to see how I do things, keeping in mind that there's more than 1 path in winemaking.
Just clicked into your online notes. Thank you. I am hoping to find an new hobby for retirement.

I make their Riesling on a regular basis, once or twice year. It is good after 6 months, better at 1 year, and really good after that up to two year’s. Keep bottle splash to a minimum.

Latest posts

Back