WineXpert Winexpert Reserve California Dry Riesling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handy Turnip

Reaction score
As a big sauvignon blanc fan, I've made my way through the Winexpert sauvignon blanc range over the past year or so - and generally love them all (although the NZ Marlborough is particularly special when just using the K1-V1116 yeast).

However, I'm also partial to a dry Riesling - so thought I'd give the California Riesling a go. I tried to do a few searches on here to see if anyone had done it but with no real luck (apologies if I missed it) - lots of reviews on the off-dry versions but none on the dry, so thought it was worth posting my progress just for future reference!

I started it at the end of November using the yeast it came with (EC1118) - with it being a dry wine, it doesn't come with any fpac, just the juice. I had an opening SG of 1.092 - and it fermented through for about 10 days, finishing up at an SG of 0.992 - so nice and dry!

It's been in the carboy for about a month now, and I sneaked a cheeky taste today - and it was absolutely delicious! Really good already! Nice and fruity, but perfectly dry with a lovely acidity. If you've done any of the WE sauvignon blancs before and enjoyed them, then I can definitely recommend this one. I'm already starting to dream of drinking this one in the garden this summer!!!

Last edited:
I've been thinking about making a dry Riesling and about which kit to use. Is that kit packaged as dry or are you just fermenting to dry. Doing any other tweaks? Citrus zest or anything?

I've been thinking about making a dry Riesling and about which kit to use. Is that kit packaged as dry or are you just fermenting to dry. Doing any other tweaks? Citrus zest or anything?

Winexpert do three Rieslings, and two of them are off-dy. But the California Riesling is packaged as dry - so no fpac or backsweetening. If you follow the instructions through, you'll end up with a bone dry Riesling.

It's the first time I've done this one so no tweaks first time round.

Latest posts

Back