WineXpert Private Reserve Fiero Kit Started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Removing the bag at the time of racking off the Fermonster was a messy experience. How do you do that step?

It can get a tad messy, yes. I try to carefully get it out, then squeeze the goodness into a bowl and pour the contents into the carboy.

Just started the Fiero tonight. I know it will be messy later, but I always have better results when I let the skins and oak chips swim free. My SG was 1.097. I'm going to let it cold soak for 12 hours and pitch BM4x4 with some Opti Red Tannin tomorrow. Following my normal pattern of no Sorbate/Clearing agents and a 1 year secondary in glass, I'm really excited for this kit.

After 12 hours cold soak, SG was 1.103. Added 8 gr Opti Red Tannin and pitched BM4x4. Open bucket fermentation with a large dish towel and BBQ grate to cover. Used 8 gr Fermaid K at 1/3 sugar break. Punched down skins and 5 mins of stirring 3 times a day. This morning SG was 1.010. This evening moved from bucket to 6 gal Better Bottle. And it was messy! Moved everything and will try an 4-6 week extended maceration (first time).

Quick update. SG=0.995. Racked off skins and squeezed the skins. Topped up with 2015 deLorimier Alexander Valley Primitivo. Added 2 x 30 gr French Oak cubes. Skipping Sorbate and Clearing agents. This is going to be very nice. Will update for next racking in 3 or 4 months.

Ok so I know this is an old thread and I have been off the board for quite a long time.
I am drinking a bottle of my Fiero right now at the 3 year mark, and I have to say this is without question one of the best if not the very best kit wine I have ever made.
Looking forward to getting back into the hobby after a bit of a layoff.

Ok so I know this is an old thread and I have been off the board for quite a long time.
I am drinking a bottle of my Fiero right now at the 3 year mark, and I have to say this is without question one of the best if not the very best kit wine I have ever made.
Looking forward to getting back into the hobby after a bit of a layoff.
Welcome back.

Back