WineXpert Private Reserve Fiero Kit Started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just put this one together. I opted to use BM 4x4 in place of the RC212. I had them both on hand, just like the BM 4x4 better.
I did add 60g of French Med T chips and 6g of FT Rouge.
Plan on a 6 week EM
And barrel aging for at least 4 months. Not in any rush.

Mine is humming along in my primary. Will move to the Big Mouth in the next 24-48 hours and let the skins soak for a month or so.

Moved to the Big Mouth yesterday, where it will sit for a month or so.

Moved to the Big Mouth yesterday, where it will sit for a month or so.
A 7.9 Gal Spiedel fermenter is some of the best money I’ve spent doing kits. I see you can get them a bit cheaper then the $99 I paid. I have 2 7.9g and one 15g that I used for double kits and crushed grapes. For EM they are just great.

A 7.9 Gal Spiedel fermenter is some of the best money I’ve spent doing kits. I see you can get them a bit cheaper then the $99 I paid. I have 2 7.9g and one 15g that I used for double kits and crushed grapes. For EM they are just great.

I've been tempted by those on several occasions, but I don't think I do enough kits anymore to justify the cost. The last red kit I did prior to this one was in January of 2019.

@StreetGlide I am thinking about getting a 60L Spiedel and start doing double kits. I has 5g, 6g and 6.5g carboys and want to use them to manage head space in bulk aging of double batches. I would use it for primary fermentation and EM as you suggest. I'm just trying to justify the cost compared to $20 for a plastic trash can. Sounds like you like yours. Any negatives about them?

@StreetGlide I am thinking about getting a 60L Spiedel and start doing double kits. I has 5g, 6g and 6.5g carboys and want to use them to manage head space in bulk aging of double batches. I would use it for primary fermentation and EM as you suggest. I'm just trying to justify the cost compared to $20 for a plastic trash can. Sounds like you like yours. Any negatives about them?

I honestly can not give you one negative. I love the ones I have. Right now I have 2 Cru Intl Nebbiolo kits in my 15.9g, a Fiero one of my 7.9g and a EP Aus Cab/Shiraz in the other. All going through 8 week EM and I don’t have a worry with them in there.

Sorry, what is EM?

Extended maceration. Kit instructions have you leave the skins in for a week to ten days, then remove and move the wine to a carboy. With EM, the wine is done in a container with a little less headspace and sealed up, where the skins are left for anywhere from a couple to 8 or 9 weeks before removing.

FWIW I bought a 7.9 gal Speidel from MoreBeer/MoreWine a few months ago, and shipping and tax included was $75.41. I do like the extra space it has for the kits that require more than my Big Mouth Bubbler can handle. I've also experimented with the spigot to rack the wine to secondary and believe it worked ok. However, I'm now leaning toward capping the spigot hole and just racking normal.

I don't mind taking my time and racking it manually and doing everything I can manually it's wine making was all about at least in the beginning I kind of hold true to them traditions as much as I can.
Putting your manual effort into a project no matter how it comes out , does make it a learning experience into itself. That's how you learn your do's and dont's that's what makes wine making fun.

Last edited:
Extended maceration. Kit instructions have you leave the skins in for a week to ten days, then remove and move the wine to a carboy. With EM, the wine is done in a container with a little less headspace and sealed up, where the skins are left for anywhere from a couple to 8 or 9 weeks before removing.
Thanks. Still a lot to learn.

Mine is still in EM, but I like to add a little sulfite when it looks like fermentation is done. I went to do that after work when I realized there is now a combined sorbate/sulfite pack in the kit. Set that aside for an occasion that will likely never arrive and just went with KMeta. Wine smells and tastes pretty good right now.

Last edited:
I followed the instructions.
I also added tannins to the secondary, it's a winner this one is.

30 days into EM on this one and I've still got positive pressure in the "S" airlock (though no bubbling). I'll continue to watch that airlock for another 2-4 weeks. If the pressure starts to go the other way, I'll rack sooner.

Oh, and a correction on my previous posts: I'm using a Fermonster, not a Big Mouth Bubbler.

Oh, and a correction on my previous posts: I'm using a Fermonster, not a Big Mouth Bubbler.
I too use a Fermonster for EM. Works like a charm except for that one kit where I added the skins to the Fermonster in the muslin bag.

I too use a Fermonster for EM. Works like a charm except for that one kit where I added the skins to the Fermonster in the muslin bag.

Curious what happened. I'm only on my 2nd EM, but have used the bag both times. I normally start the kits in my bucket, then after anywhere from 3-7 days, transfer to the Fermonster. Just gives me a little piece of mind that I've got some extra room if things really foam up those first few days.

Latest posts

Back