Winexpert Old Vine Zin ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooknhogz

Reaction score
Ok, started this kit on the March 23rd 16 days ago. Checked sg this morning and is at .996 which is good but still showing signs of fermentation, bubbles on surface of wine and some slow action in the airlock. Should I just let it ride or proceed to the next step? I’m thinking let it ride.

I know all about secondary fermentation but the Winexpert instructions states primary 14 days or until .996 or lower. Then, stabilize/degas, next day, day 15 clearing, day 30 done. Unless I’m reading wrong there is no secondary fermentation anymore with the Winexpert kits

Well, you asked for opinions. My opinion is to throw those instructions away, put the wine in a carboy, stabilize it by adding k-meta, and let it take a nice long nap. Clearing and degassing, or not, is your call.

At 0.996, you're basically done fermenting. There is a lot of CO2 in the wine so the bubbles and airlock activity are degassing not fermenting. I would transfer to a carboy, degas gently, add kmeta, and let it rest for a bit. I hate the kit instructions because they like to rush things so you buy another kit. I would let it sit in the carboy under airlock for 3 months, then degas and add clarifiers if you want, then bottle after that if it's clear. Or if you skip the clarifiers, you can bulk age for a year before bottling.

Latest posts

Back