Winexpert LE20 Torrontes Muscat

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Handy Turnip

Reaction score
Finally received delivery of the WE LE20 Torrontes Muscat kit this morning. Very excited about this one - it's my first LE kit and I love Torrontes so have high hopes.

I had a quick peek inside and there are no real surprises - 14L juice bag, and standard clearing packs. It comes with two yeasts - EC-1118 and K1_V1116 - which seems quite standard with the high end dry white wine WE kits. With the exception of missing out the sorbate packet, I was planning on following the instructions to the letter on this one - however the two yeasts leaves me with a slight dilemma over whether I miss out the EC-1118.

Might get this one started tomorrow. Anyone else got this one?

Do as directed , I've made this one and it's sitting in the bottles aging.
I added a little grapefruit zest and nothing else the finish was good but needed time in the bottle to set up .

I ordered 2 of these, and they due for delivery today. I'm not usually a a fan of white wine, but these looked interesting to say the least.

Pitched this one this morning. Following on from the comments above, and just to play it safe as I'll only do this once, I've followed the directions to the letter, no tweaks, pitching both yeasts. Opening SG of 1.096. No grapefruit zest unfortunately as grapefruit affects the medicine that my other half's family are on. Any alternatives for future reference are welcome though!

@joeswine how long has yours been aging for? I know it's early, but any first impressions on how you think it might rate?

Last edited:
Joe did you add any oak during aging? I'm debating whether to toss in a French Oak Spiral. I'm going to age mine in the carboy at least 6 months before bottling.

It doesn't lend itself too heavy tannins, you're better off having an alcohol level around 12% and let it take it some weight if you're not going to put any zest into it, I wouldn't let an age too long mine's about a month in the bottle I'm going to wait for about another 2 months and then it should be ready.
wine making doesn't have to be complicated to be right there are plenty of really good everyday wines out there to enjoy that's my motto keep it simple.

It doesn't lend itself too heavy tannins, you're better off having an alcohol level around 12% and let it take it some weight if you're not going to put any zest into it, I wouldn't let an age too long mine's about a month in the bottle I'm going to wait for about another 2 months and then it should be ready.
wine making doesn't have to be complicated to be right there are plenty of really good everyday wines out there to enjoy that's my motto keep it simple.

How long did you let it sit in the secondary before bottling?

Until it cleared , and I was ready to bottle their isn't a time limits if your in control of the process .

At least 2 weeks slitly shaking once a day then add the clearring agents.
Better?

At least 2 weeks slitly shaking once a day then add the clearring agents.
Better?

Thank you sir! It'll probably be a few months or more before I get around to bottling mine.

Primary finished on this one with a final sg of 0.994, which should give me an ABV of 13.4%. Beautiful golden colour at the moment as it sits in the carboy.

After nearly three weeks in the carboy, this has cleared perfectly. Sneaked a little sample and it's tasting superb already. A few more weeks yet but this will be an early bottler I think.

After nearly three weeks in the carboy, this has cleared perfectly. Sneaked a little sample and it's tasting superb already. A few more weeks yet but this will be an early bottler I think.

Same experience here! After tasting it, I'm glad I made 2 kits now. I also made 2 of the LE 20 Synergy, white wine kit that's showing a lot of early promise.

Last edited:
Made the same and recently bottled 19 still and 10 that I am experimenting with a secondary fermentation in Champagne bottles to yield a sparkler. I have a second kit on deck waiting to get started.

I skipped the E-1118 yeast and maintained a 65F fermentation temperature but otherwise followed the directions. I also skipped the sorbate so I could make the sparkler.

Taste was already quite good at bottling. It will probably go quickly once the weather warms up!

Sour_grapes was correct. I did use the included v1116 yeast. I am giving it another several weeks to pop the top on the sparkling to see if I got enough bubbles. There is definitely sediment in the sparkling bottles that was not in the still, so I know there was some activity.

This one has cleared beautifully, and been clear for quite a while - plus it tastes superb. Consequently, it'll be bottled this weekend. I can already see myself supping this in the garden in the sunshine in a couple of months.

Latest posts

Back