Winexpert LE19 Tempranillo

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacific_red

Junior
Reaction score
I started this kit without skins mid-December 2019, including fermentation tannin, and then tannin complex after first rack. I switched the supplied generic yeast for RP-15. I just racked (2nd rack) into 5 G carboy, plus 3 full bottles to sample. Added tannin riche extra to the 5 G carboy for aging. Just sampled the dregs left over after racking and was surprisingly impressed - this has far more body and mouthfeel than the handful of Eclipse kits I have done that included skins. Not sure if it is the switch to RP-15 yeast (first time using), but this tempranillo is setting up to be seriously good. Looking forward to hearing the experience of others.

Also have one of these in a 6 gallon carboy. No modifications. Not touching it for two months. Smelled wonderful racking.

My first taste of Tempranillo was in Amsterdam, of all places. Mrs. Crushday and I were coming home from Europe and got stuck in the Netherlands for a couple days because of weather. At dinner one night, I ordered a bottle of Tempranillo to enjoy with our meal. We loved it.

I now have three 6 gallon carboys of this limited edition kit aging. It will see barrels in May 2021.

My first taste of Tempranillo was in Amsterdam, of all places. Mrs. Crushday and I were coming home from Europe and got stuck in the Netherlands for a couple days because of weather. At dinner one night, I ordered a bottle of Tempranillo to enjoy with our meal. We loved it.

I now have three 6 gallon carboys of this limited edition kit aging. It will see barrels in May 2021.
I have pondered adding more oak into my 3 gallon carboy and bottling the other 3 gallons as is. What is your opinion?

I've got a batch of this underway in secondary, due for racking in a few days. When I bottle, I plan to blend a part of it with Grenache--typical Rioja blend

I've got a batch of this underway in secondary, due for racking in a few days. When I bottle, I plan to blend a part of it with Grenache--typical Rioja blend
Jeez that sounds like a winner. I really missed the boat on this one. I currently have the WE Classic Tempranillo in primary, but I know it’s not gonna be the same. Hopefully a quaffable wine, nonetheless. Good luck!

Finally bottled after aging for 12 months. I used RP-15 yeast, which works well for Tempranillo, and it was treated with various tannins along the way as I indicated in my original post. A very nice example of a Tempranillo that holds its own against the commercial bottles I've sampled. Doesn't taste like a kit wine at all. It's good at 12 months, but should be even better if I can prevent myself from opening too many bottles in the next year. Should pair well with a good pasta dish. A shout out to the All-in-One wine pump that makes bottling a breeze.

Latest posts

Back