Quantcast

Winexpert LE19 Tempranillo

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

pacific_red

Junior
Reaction score
I started this kit without skins mid-December 2019, including fermentation tannin, and then tannin complex after first rack. I switched the supplied generic yeast for RP-15. I just racked (2nd rack) into 5 G carboy, plus 3 full bottles to sample. Added tannin riche extra to the 5 G carboy for aging. Just sampled the dregs left over after racking and was surprisingly impressed - this has far more body and mouthfeel than the handful of Eclipse kits I have done that included skins. Not sure if it is the switch to RP-15 yeast (first time using), but this tempranillo is setting up to be seriously good. Looking forward to hearing the experience of others.

Ted Brumleve

Louisville
Reaction score
Also have one of these in a 6 gallon carboy. No modifications. Not touching it for two months. Smelled wonderful racking.

crushday

Grape juice artisan
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
My first taste of Tempranillo was in Amsterdam, of all places. Mrs. Crushday and I were coming home from Europe and got stuck in the Netherlands for a couple days because of weather. At dinner one night, I ordered a bottle of Tempranillo to enjoy with our meal. We loved it.

I now have three 6 gallon carboys of this limited edition kit aging. It will see barrels in May 2021.

Ted Brumleve

Louisville
Reaction score
My first taste of Tempranillo was in Amsterdam, of all places. Mrs. Crushday and I were coming home from Europe and got stuck in the Netherlands for a couple days because of weather. At dinner one night, I ordered a bottle of Tempranillo to enjoy with our meal. We loved it.

I now have three 6 gallon carboys of this limited edition kit aging. It will see barrels in May 2021.
I have pondered adding more oak into my 3 gallon carboy and bottling the other 3 gallons as is. What is your opinion?

Sailor323

Reaction score
I've got a batch of this underway in secondary, due for racking in a few days. When I bottle, I plan to blend a part of it with Grenache--typical Rioja blend

Cellar Vader

Reaction score
I've got a batch of this underway in secondary, due for racking in a few days. When I bottle, I plan to blend a part of it with Grenache--typical Rioja blend
Jeez that sounds like a winner. I really missed the boat on this one. I currently have the WE Classic Tempranillo in primary, but I know it’s not gonna be the same. Hopefully a quaffable wine, nonetheless. Good luck!

pacific_red

Junior
Reaction score
Finally bottled after aging for 12 months. I used RP-15 yeast, which works well for Tempranillo, and it was treated with various tannins along the way as I indicated in my original post. A very nice example of a Tempranillo that holds its own against the commercial bottles I've sampled. Doesn't taste like a kit wine at all. It's good at 12 months, but should be even better if I can prevent myself from opening too many bottles in the next year. Should pair well with a good pasta dish. A shout out to the All-in-One wine pump that makes bottling a breeze.

Latest posts