Winexpert LE18 thoughts?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. If I spend > 120 bucks on a red kit I want skins.
2. Ingredients in the kit have been tested many times over vs me just winging it with something I concocted in my kitchen. I dont want 30 bottles of frankenhooch.
3. I did buy a grape pack from M&M (3 of them actually, I have two left) and the LE17 NZ Merlot I added them to is turning out really, REALLY good. But again, with shipping included, that's an additional 30 dollar expense. The kits that actually do include skins usually arent much more than the ones they're selling without.
4. If consumers do not voice their opinions in regards to a product they're disappointed in, the manufacturer won't know they're not taking care of their customers, and they'll continue to try to control costs as time goes on, and if they don't know how much you (the consumer who is interested in the high end kits), you will have fewer and fewer kits with skins to choose from.

Last edited:
I don't understand. The Fumé Blanc doesn't come with oak, how can you have a Fumé Blanc without oak. Doesn't that make it a Sauvignon Blanc?

I don't understand. The Fumé Blanc doesn't come with oak, how can you have a Fumé Blanc without oak. Doesn't that make it a Sauvignon Blanc?

My wife said it’s a Faux Fumé Blanc...lol

I found these words out on the web.

"Fumé" literally translates to "smoke," but this has nothing to do with a "smoky" flavor in the wine, although that is a popular notion. It instead refers to the morning fog that covers the Loire Valley and is "as thick as smoke." Any smoke-like smells or flavors in Sauvignon Blanc are from aging in toasted oak barrels and are definitely not due to any aroma or flavor character inherent in this grape variety. Although some wineries may choose oak barrel fermentation, oak aging, or both, the use of "Fumé Blanc" on a label does not require that the wine be barrel-fermented or ever contact any oak whatsoever. Fumé Blanc is simply an approved synonym for Sauvignon Blanc.

From the winemakers toy store View attachment 50849
They're consistently wrong about many of the details on their site. They have the LE's listed as 16L kits, which is incorrect. Label Peelers has the Fume listed as Dry | Med. Body | Light Oak | 13% ABV
The Winexpert website has the oak rated on the Fume as a 1 out of 3. The Gewurtz is listed as a zero, the Corazon and Cab. as a 2, and the Barbaresco as a 3.

I found these words out on the web.

"Fumé" literally translates to "smoke," but this has nothing to do with a "smoky" flavor in the wine, although that is a popular notion. It instead refers to the morning fog that covers the Loire Valley and is "as thick as smoke." Any smoke-like smells or flavors in Sauvignon Blanc are from aging in toasted oak barrels and are definitely not due to any aroma or flavor character inherent in this grape variety. Although some wineries may choose oak barrel fermentation, oak aging, or both, the use of "Fumé Blanc" on a label does not require that the wine be barrel-fermented or ever contact any oak whatsoever. Fumé Blanc is simply an approved synonym for Sauvignon Blanc.
One of my favorite stories in the marketing world of wine is that of Fume Blanc. In the late 1960s, Sauvignon Blanc suffered a negative reputation. It was too sweet, or too grassy, poorly made, hard to pronounce, and generally avoided by many wine drinkers. About this time, the late, great Robert Mondavi had an opportunity to produce some promising Sauvignon Blanc. Though he knew it would be delicious, he also wanted to sell it, and labeling it as Sauvignon Blanc may not do the trick. Taking a cue from the Sauvignon Blanc-saturated region of Pouilly Fume in France, Mondavi labeled his wine Fume Blanc and used that name for his SB, which was dry-fermented and aged in oak barrels.

Since you’ve most likely seen a bottle of Fume Blanc, you probably know that this marketing decision paid off and easily accounts for Sauvignon Blanc’s popularity today. Mondavi did not trademark the term, so other wineries jumped on the bandwagon, crafting Sauvignon Blanc in the same style and using the Fume Blanc term. These days, Sauvignon Blanc enjoys a stellar reputation and is proudly displayed on labels in California. But many, particularly those established wineries with a few decades under their belt, still use the Fume Blanc moniker for their Sauvignon Blanc. What’s the difference? Though there are plenty of exceptions (as there always are), Fume Blanc typically sees a bit of oak and displays rounder, richer, more melon-like flavors. Sauvignon Blanc aims to bring out the grassy and sharper citrus aromatics of the varietal.

I'd like to pick up one or two LE18 kits but I'm not exactly sure which to pick.. We typically like dry and light or non-oaked wines.
I'm not a pro at understanding the styles of each of the wines yet.

So I was thinking of picking up the Barbaresco w/ skins and the Fumé Blanc.

Thoughts?

Barbaresco is notably not a very light wine, though not certainly as big as Barolo. It is also quite heavy with oak, at least in this winexpert version. You could take the oak out to create a lighter wine overall, or even ditch the skins.

I'd garner the Black Cab would feel drier than the other two wines this year, as Corazón will be quite rustic and fruity with the Carmenere and the Pais in the blend.

Anyone else doing the Fumé blanc? I just wrapped primary on mine. Swapped out EC1118 for QA23. Smells fantastic.

I got the Fume Blanc sitting at 3 weeks today, Clearing nicely. True 'Fume' comes from terroir (flint), not oak, though real Fume Blanc has that too. We'll see how it turns out. Glad to see others doing it too.

Edited

Etymology[edit]
Pouilly-Fumé is made purely from sauvignon blanc, a type of vine whose clusters are formed of small ovoid grapes, pressed against each other and resembling small bird eggs. At maturity, these grapes are coated with a grey bloom, the color of smoke — which explains why Pouilly winegrowers talk of "white smoke" to describe the type of vine or the wines made from it. “Fumé” also refers to the smoky bouquet (the renowned "gun flint aroma"), bestowed by the terroir vineyards of Pouilly-sur-Loire.

History[edit]
Antiquity[edit]
The vineyards of Pouilly-Fumé date back to the fifth century. The area was a Gallo-Roman estate dating back to the early days of the Roman Empire.[3] The name derives from the Latin Pauliacum super fluvium ligerim(Pauliacum on the River Loire), reflecting the Roman road which passed through this locaility.[4]

Middle Ages[edit]
Benedictine monks commenced development of Pouilly-Fumé in the Middle Ages. Sacramental wine is traditionally white, less prone to staining, and the Benedictines developed the vineyards without seeking profitability. The fiefdom and vineyards of Pouilly were transferred to the Benedictines of La Charité-sur-Loire for the sum of "3100 sous and a silver mark" towards the end of the eleventh century. A plot of about 4 hectares (9.9 acres) overlooking the River Loire has retained the appellation Loge aux Moines (Monks’ Lodge), in memory of that era. The repurchase of Boisgibault lands in 1383 by Jean III de Sancerre demonstrates the proximity that has always existed between this vineyard and that of Sancerre, and their respective white wine production.

From Wikipedia.

I'm aware of the Mondavi story, but this is the first 'Fume'.

Last edited:
You know people grape skins aren't all there supposed to be.
Dehydrated or juice pac,you y still can't be sure what it is or how effective they'll be on the base.
There are good things to do with making a high end kit straight up with s teeek.or buying your own grape pac and applying it ( m&m ) makes them just a thought.
And as the kits get hire and hire doesn't make sense to see how to take a moderately priced kit and play with it?
Joe I got the Corozon kit yesterday and was wondering if you would add anything to it or just follow directions being it is a rather expensive kit, curious if I should add anything or just go with it

Just put my Corozon in the primary. The only change I made was a different yeast as mine came with 1118. I used rc212 instead as I had some remaining.

I’d be interested in both the Barbaresco and the ‘Black Cab, but I can get the Spagnols kits for so much less than I can get WE that I probably won’t. - though I’d be tempted if I could get them locally.

Jbo

Latest posts

Back