Winexpert LE18 thoughts?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyle5434

Trying to fuse frugal/pragmatic with good results
Reaction score
It looks like of the 3 red kits, only one of them comes with skins (the Barbaresco). I wonder why they continue to NOT include skins in these pricier "premium" releases....

https://labelpeelers.com/wine-kits/

I don't think I will be doing any of them this time around, the ones without skins are too expensive for what you get and the Barbaresco does not interest me. Hopefully the CC Passports have something good coming.

I'd probably be interested in the Corazón if there were skins.

I don't think I will be doing any of them this time around, the ones without skins are too expensive for what you get and the Barbaresco does not interest me. Hopefully the CC Passports have something good coming.

Agreed. I'm not really moved by any of these. Saw something for new Passports on a canadian instagram account. What US distributor carries them?

I'd probably be interested in the Corazón if there were skins.

Agreed. If it had skins, I'd probably bite.

Winexpert appears to be the only brand you can get for less than $150 shipped. Shame prices are so high this year. Vineco has a super Tuscan with a retail of 185.99! (167 with discount). Ouch.

I'll be doing the Barbaresco and that is all. Really disappointed to see an LE Lodi Cab without skins, I don't understand.

Skin fanatics will have to wait for the Eclipse release mid-2019. I for one am estatic about the Corazon, and I'm always game for a Gamay-Cab blend :)

The Fumé Blanc sounds interesting to me. I was thinking about making an Eclipse New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc this winter but I'm wondering if the Fumé Blanc will be similar. It looks like these are special release kits have 16 liters whereas the Eclipse kit has 18 liters of juice.

Skin fanatics will have to wait for the Eclipse release mid-2019. I for one am estatic about the Corazon, and I'm always game for a Gamay-Cab blend :)
Gamay and cab hmm thats a different blend lol. Seeing as how cab can last 20 years. But Gamay only has a bottle life of max of 1 year.
I'll be doing the Barbaresco and that is all. Really disappointed to see an LE Lodi Cab without skins, I don't understand.
Nice nice, but you could buy Nebbiolo grapes somewhere. I've got Nebbiolo vines.
And even in the Passports, the Merlot / Cab Franc is most interesting BUT no skin pack, the Super Tuscan has Skins but I have an RJS EP Super Tuscan in primary right now......
Merlot/cab is a excellent blend. And quite traditional. But yeah I'm not happy about lack of skins.

The Fumé Blanc sounds interesting to me. I was thinking about making an Eclipse New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc this winter but I'm wondering if the Fumé Blanc will be similar. It looks like these are special release kits have 16 liters whereas the Eclipse kit has 18 liters of juice.

One of our local wineries makes a Fume Blanc. It's really good, mellow, off dry.

I would agree that it would be nice to see skin packs in all the red kits, but I really don't think the pricing is too bad. All 3 red kits offer interesting grape combinations and come from (fairly) renowned areas. After you get past the manufacturers advertised price, LP is selling the non-skin kits for $95 - that's an 18L kit. I'm not sure I will fit one of these into my lineup this year, but I'll bet I'm perusing the supplier web sites this winter looking for leftovers.

The idea of a Cab-Gamay blend sounds really interesting to me and the Chilean combo looks pretty good too.

I will almost certainly make a large batch of the Symphony Gewurztraminer but I’m a huge sucker for Gewurtz, infact it’s the reason I planted 4 acres of vines.

I'd like to pick up one or two LE18 kits but I'm not exactly sure which to pick.. We typically like dry and light or non-oaked wines.
I'm not a pro at understanding the styles of each of the wines yet.

So I was thinking of picking up the Barbaresco w/ skins and the Fumé Blanc.

Thoughts?

Those are excellent choices. I'm planning on buying the Fumé Blanc this year as well. If I were to order two LE18 selections, I think that my second choice would be the Black Cab. This selection is based on a personal preference for Cabernet wines and Cabernet blends. I also like Chateauneuf-du-Pape type wines and currently have the Winexpert Nocturnal wine aging.

You know people grape skins aren't all there supposed to be.
Dehydrated or juice pac,you y still can't be sure what it is or how effective they'll be on the base.
There are good things to do with making a high end kit straight up with s teeek.or buying your own grape pac and applying it ( m&m ) makes them just a thought.
And as the kits get hire and hire doesn't make sense to see how to take a moderately priced kit and play with it?

Latest posts

Back