Winexpert LE18 thoughts?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always have a few on hand from Label Peelers
I had searched Label Peelers site before and didn't find it there. That's ok, though. This time around I'm just gonna "play it safe?" and stick with the supplied yeas (RC212.) Thx for your thoughts!

I don’t know what it is about BM 4x4, but it doesn’t seem readily available for a lot of folks. I have a local brew shop in my area and they have lots of yeast to choose from except no BM 4x4. I recall asking someone who worked there once and they looked at me like I was nuts when I mentioned it.

Thought I would throw in my experience with LE kits. I did the Barbaresco kit. After I emptied the bag into my ferment bucket and then add the grape skins, there was a water addition of a little over a gallon to bring it to the 6 gallon mark. Pretty much the same amount of water as an 18 liter kit. After 2 weeks I removed the grape skin bag and squeezed the liquid out of it and transfered the wine to a 6 gal carboy. I believe the liquid from the grape skin bag adds enough to bring the transfered wine to several inches below the neck. I then use a drill whip to degas. At the time of transfer sulfite and sorbate and a small amount of Kieselsol are added. The next day you add two packages of chitosan and the oak cubes supplied. On the Barbaresco kit I had to draw it down a little to get the two bags of oak cubes added. A kit with 18 liters and grape skins would never fit into a carboy. Should it be listed as 16 liters with x amount of grape skins? Probably so. But the 16 liters and the grape skins results in the approx the same level in the primary as an 18 liter kit would.

62697174.jpg

Went on the LP web site this morning and they still had some leftover Winexpert LE 2018 kits. I could not resist. Nabbed the Corazon and the Gewurztraminer. The wife loves Gewurztraminer and the Corazon sounded interesting. Guess I will be keeping the fermenters busy for a while.

upload_2019-7-10_12-56-13.png

Went on the LP web site this morning and they still had some leftover Winexpert LE 2018 kits. I could not resist. Nabbed the Corazon and the Gewurztraminer. The wife loves Gewurztraminer and the Corazon sounded interesting. Guess I will be keeping the fermenters busy for a while.

View attachment 55444
You may have gotten the last Corazon one--it's unavailable now. I hemmed and hawed, but gave in and bought the Symphony Gewurztraminer kit. They have it marked down to $106 (plus shipping). My rationale is that it will be a good kit to compare with the cheaper Vintner's Reserve kit I did so I can see if it's worth it (to me) to buy the more expensive kits in the future.

George, that seems really dark for a Sauvignon Blanc wine. Do you have the date code for the kit? I have contacted a very helpful person from time to time at WinExpert named Gail Tufford. Her email address is: [email protected]. You might want to ask for her input.

a very helpful person from time to time at WinExpert named Gail Tufford
She is really helpful!

BTW Rocky, the kit can't be old, it's a LE18. My kit was produced in December 2018

Last edited:
George, that seems really dark for a Sauvignon Blanc wine. Do you have the date code for the kit? I have contacted a very helpful person from time to time at WinExpert named Gail Tufford. Her email address is: [email protected]. You might want to ask for her input.
Rocky, thanks for Gail’s contact info. To be clear on this kit, it is the Fume Blanc and had toasted oak chips added during primary. Apparently, it’s a stylistic version of Sauv Blanc and is supposed to be this color. The kit is from the LE18 series from Winexpert.

Latest posts

Back