WineXpert Winexpert LE16

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sideways2

Reaction score
Just got this email...

Cabernet Franc
Release date: January 2017

There is a good reason to celebrate this grape on its own. It can tread the line between fruit and spice notes magnificently with ripe raspberry and red currant dancing around with black pepper and fresh mint leaf. There is a solid backbone of tannin to provide mouth-feel and structure, and it can pair with a range of foods due to its medium-body status. Sweetness: Dry. Body: Medium. Alcohol: 13%.

Vermentino
Release date: January 2017

The Vermentino grape is a white star. It ferments into a wine that is expressively refreshing. Think of flavours like white peach, green apple, fresh lime and even a bit of dried tarragon on the finish. Pairs beautifully with regional Italian cuisine like pasta tossed in olive oil with shellfish or grilled Mediterranean vegetables. Sweetness: Dry. Body: Light-medium. Alcohol: 12.5%.

Milagro
Release date: February 2017

Three of Spain's great red varieties, Tempranillo, Garnacha and Bobal bring their lush and hedonistic qualities to the full-bodied and well-structured friends, Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah. Together, you have a wine with a range of black and red fruit characteristics, cherry cola, anise and white pepper with a powerful yet supple mouth-feel. Pair this with braised beef, a big wedge of Manchego cheese or Paella. Sweetness: Dry. Body: Medium-full. Alcohol: 14%.
Release date: January 2016

Blanc de Noir
Release date: March 2017

Blanc de Noir is a French term that translates to a 'white wine made from dark grapes'. Pinot Noir is used for this particular wine. By quickly removing the skins from the juice after the grapes have been pressed, the pigment from the skins is not transferred to the juice resulting in all the beautiful complexities of Pinot Noir while keeping the colour light and the tannins at bay. This wine, with its crabapple and strawberry driven nose and light body, pairs well with delicate dishes. Sweetness: Off-Dry. Body: Light-Medium. Alcohol: 13%.

Grenache Cabernet
Release date: April 2017

Grenache is the yin to Cabernet Sauvignon's yang. It's both soft and jammy to balance out the powerful structure of Cabernet, yet rich and spicy enough to stand up to him. Flavours like red licorice, black cherry and raspberry combine with a warm cinnamon spice that rounds out the blend perfectly. Enjoy this wine with bold protein-rich dishes like grilled steak or wild mushroom risotto if meat is not on the menu. Sweetness: Dry. Body: Full. Oak: Heavy. Alcohol: 14.5%.

I'll be saving some Cab Franc skins from this Fall's local batch. Wonder if I could ship them using some dry ice?? Only issue is that they will be flush with whatever yeast I decide to use.

Craig,
That is a very generous and kind offer. I would certainly pay you for them and shipping to give it a try. After I posted my initial response I was talking with my wife and wondering if I should get in touch in Harford Winery and talking to them about getting some grapes just to use for additions to kits. I don't even know if they'd sell me only 10 or 20 pounds of Cab grapes that I could supplement both my Cab Sauv kits and this Cab Franc kit, but it seems like a reasonable thing to try. Let me think about that route first to save you the hassle, but I may come back and ask to take you up on it. Again, thank you.

When I get to retirement in a few years I may well take up making wine from grapes but I'm not there yet. Baby steps, but I do like the idea of augmenting kits with fresh/frozen skins.

Ted

Craig,
That is a very generous and kind offer. I would certainly pay you for them and shipping to give it a try. After I posted my initial response I was talking with my wife and wondering if I should get in touch in Harford Winery and talking to them about getting some grapes just to use for additions to kits. I don't even know if they'd sell me only 10 or 20 pounds of Cab grapes that I could supplement both my Cab Sauv kits and this Cab Franc kit, but it seems like a reasonable thing to try. Let me think about that route first to save you the hassle, but I may come back and ask to take you up on it. Again, thank you.

When I get to retirement in a few years I may well take up making wine from grapes but I'm not there yet. Baby steps, but I do like the idea of augmenting kits with fresh/frozen skins.

Ted

Well, I know they'd sell you 36 lbs in the Fall and 18 lbs in the Spring since that is their lug size. How close to Harford do you live? The Cab Franc I'm getting is from Spring Grove PA (just South of Rt. 30, half way between York and Hanover). Jeff at ThunderRidge would sell you a single pound if you really wanted it. I asked him for 110 lbs of Cab Franc so I could give 5 to 10 lbs to a work buddy who wanted to add them to an Ale or Porter he's concocting. He's usually around $1.30 lb for reds, never verified the price this year, yet.

Well, I know they'd sell you 36 lbs in the Fall and 18 lbs in the Spring since that is their lug size. How close to Harford do you live? The Cab Franc I'm getting is from Spring Grove PA (just South of Rt. 30, half way between York and Hanover). Jeff at ThunderRidge would sell you a single pound if you really wanted it. I asked him for 110 lbs of Cab Franc so I could give 5 to 10 lbs to a work buddy who wanted to add them to an Ale or Porter he's concocting. He's usually around $1.30 lb for reds, never verified the price this year, yet.

I'm a little over an hour away from Harford, but looking at a map it appears that Thunder Ridge is only a few more minutes. I hadn't heard of them before, so thank you for the tip.

Craig,

Ted

Ted, you might think about getting a crushed and destemmed bucket of must to use for that purpose. You'd end up with about 3 gallons more than just a plain kit, but you would substantially upgrade the body of the kit you are doing. You could even split say a bucket of cab must with two kits if you find some varietals you'd like to blend. Just adding already pressed skins to a kit makes a huge difference in a kit, splitting a bucket up would probably be even better.

As long as the must was reasonably in the "good" pH and TA range, you wouldn't even need to make any adjustments before pitching yeast. You'll get a little light experience with racking out of a fermenter full of skins and some skin pressing / squeezing. Save those skins and use them one more time.....

Ted, you might think about getting a crushed and destemmed bucket of must to use for that purpose. You'd end up with about 3 gallons more than just a plain kit, but you would substantially upgrade the body of the kit you are doing. You could even split say a bucket of cab must with two kits if you find some varietals you'd like to blend. Just adding already pressed skins to a kit makes a huge difference in a kit, splitting a bucket up would probably be even better.

As long as the must was reasonably in the "good" pH and TA range, you wouldn't even need to make any adjustments before pitching yeast. You'll get a little light experience with racking out of a fermenter full of skins and some skin pressing / squeezing. Save those skins and use them one more time.....

John,

You definitely have me thinking. Starting with a lug and seeing what I can do to augment kits sounds like a reasonable plan. I see that Harford will destem and crush. Huh, now I have some thinking to do. That would be a good way to get my toes wet and hopefully make several higher quality kit batches. Time to do some research. Thanks.

Ted

Thanks for posting, will definitely be trying that cab franc even though I do wish it came with skins.

Did the email list prices? If so, would you please post the prices. Thanx...

Just wondering what are people's opinions on the limited edition red kits without skins? Are they on a par with the premium kits with skins or should expectations be a bit lower? It's a bit of a shame that only one of the kits from Winexpert and Vineco have skins...

I see they're now listed on the Winexpert website, but I still don't see them for sale on either LP or HBS. Do you see them anywhere for sale?

Latest posts

Back