WineXpert Kit Chemistry Off?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, and it doesn't lack in acidity. I'll be curious how yours turns out. I guess I could add a small amount of acid to a measure sample and try and replicate what you added, though who knows what will remain post fermentation in your wine.

Hope that helps.

Update: During fermentation, there was a noticeable H2S smell prior to adding the fining. I read up on how to try and eliminate/reduce that fault and settled on using pure copper tongue scrappers. I hadn't heard of Reduless at that point and thought using those scrappers would be quicker (at this stage in the process) than waiting a few more days until I transferred into the secondary using some copper scrubbers stuffed in a large funnel. So I placed 6 scrappers in a sanitized mesh bag and put them in the primary.

While that was going on, I kept reading about copper toxicity in wine so I became concerned and took the copper scrappers out after about 2.5 hours. I placed the scrappers (not dried off) into a ziplock bag. The next day, I noticed the wine that was in the bag had a bit of a green tinge to it.
Now, without knowing just how much copper had transferred I got a bid worried so I packed up a sample (along with some tap water & fridge filtered samples for a "baseline") and sent them to Lodi Wine Labs for copper testing.

The results came back, and no copper was found. At least, not up to their testing threshold of 0.05ppm. So there was no copper toxicity in the wine.

The H2S smell had gone away some, but was still noticeable so I used some reduless as directed and the H2S smell is gone.

As for the other chemistry, the wine is at 3.43 pH (down from 3.93) and TA is 6.4g/L (up from 4.4).

I'll wait for at least 6 months before I give it a taste and report back, but so far it looks like the addition of Tartaric Acid worked as expected.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get a slight sulfur smell when I use RC-212. I attribute this to the increased nutrient requirements for this yeast. You can counter the smell during fermentation with small additions of nutrient and DAP. Or just plan on adding 1/2 the reccomended dosage to your must to avoid the smell altogether. Good luck

Last edited:
I get a slight sulfur smell when I use RC-212. I attribute this to the increased nutrient requirements for this yeast. You can counter the smell during fermentation with small additions of nutrient and DAP. Or just plan on adding 1/2 the reccomended dosage to your must to avoid the smell altogether. Good luck

Good to know regarding RC-212. Thanks.

I typically use Go Ferm at the start, and add Fermaid K a third of the way in.

Latest posts

Back