Winexpert Eclipse Washington Riesling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooknhogz

Reaction score
Getting ready to do my second Eclipse Washington Riesling this weekend. The first kit (done last spring) turned out excellent, especially about 6 months after bottling, and was done as directed per the kits instructions. The kit comes with two yeast packets, EC-1118 and K1-V1116. This time I had two thoughts first, was to ferment with just the K1-V1116 and leave out the EC-1118 and the second, was to substitute the EC-1118 for a D-47 so I’d be pitching both D-47 and K1-V1116 which are both good for white wines. Just wanted to see what the thoughts were of a few more knowledgeable wine makers. Thanks

Getting ready to do my second Eclipse Washington Riesling this weekend. The first kit (done last spring) turned out excellent, especially about 6 months after bottling, and was done as directed per the kits instructions. The kit comes with two yeast packets, EC-1118 and K1-V1116. This time I had two thoughts first, was to ferment with just the K1-V1116 and leave out the EC-1118 and the second, was to substitute the EC-1118 for a D-47 so I’d be pitching both D-47 and K1-V1116 which are both good for white wines. Just wanted to see what the thoughts were of a few more knowledgeable wine makers. Thanks

I think you would be happy using just one packet of yeast. I would put the EC-1118 in the fridge for a stuck ferment and only use the K1. D-47 is also good on white wine.

Interesting, I just looked at the more winemaking yeast pairing guide and K1-V1116 isn't a recommended yeast for Riesling, D47 is. So I might pitch that, if there are fermentation issues, then pitch the Ec1118. You will want to do the nutrient recommendations for the yeast.

Thanks cmason1957 that is the yeast that came with the kit. I believe that was the yeast that came with it last time too. I have D-47 on hand

I have Red Star Premier Curvee on hand too. I think I used this for a Riesling and it worked fine

I've done this kit once and just went with the K1-V116. Turned out well, but still aging (not quite a year old yet). If money were no object, I'd do two of these kits - one with D47 and one with the K1V, then maybe blend them.

I made one about a year ago. Kit came with K1V, so that's what I used. The aroma during fermentation was spectacular. I've had one bottle and thought it was great. I gave a bottle to a friend whose wife loves Riesling from St. Michelle. She did a side by side comparison and said mine was better than the St.M, hands down. Color, mouthfeel, nose, taste - everything.

Just a update. I decided to pitch only the K1-V1116 that came with the kit and hold on from pitching the EC-1118 it’s day 3 and I’ve stirred the wine up every morning. Fermentation is running a little slow but working. For now just keeping a eye on the activity. If fermentation slows anymore or stops I’ll pitch the EC-1118.

Just a update. I decided to pitch only the K1-V1116 that came with the kit and hold on from pitching the EC-1118 it’s day 3 and I’ve stirred the wine up every morning. Fermentation is running a little slow but working. For now just keeping a eye on the activity. If fermentation slows anymore or stops I’ll pitch the EC-1118.

Slow fermentation on Riesling is good. Don't be in a hurry to pitch the EC-1118

K1-V116 has always been a steady fermenter the handful of times I've used it. As Chuck said, don't be in a hurry to supplement it, just keep the temps in the right range and all should be just fine.

Latest posts

Back